Pork Pullin Gloves & Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Attempting my 1st pork shoulder this weekend and was hoping to get some advice on two areas:

1. Gloves- Any suggestions on where to find some gloves to use while pulling the pork?

2. Sauce- Curious to what people use for sauce (if any) for their sandwiches. I'm not sure a strong vinegar base will work for my crowd.

Thanks in Advance!

Wells Lamont PVC coated work gloves, only $3.99 at K-mart. Waterproof, greaseproof, heatproof.

Vinegar-based sauces are traditional for pulled pork, the BBQ mainstay in the Carolinas. Failing that, a tomato-based tangy/sweet sauce would go well.

I had my family try the Carolina Red sauce from Smoke and Spice. Even though they had never tried that kind of sauce, everyone just loved it on the pork. It's really simple to make. Maybe you should try it in addition to a standard brand. When I did this, the regular sauce hardly got touched.

I use the plain old food service gloves...BUTTTT the good elastic ones. Coated gloves are too thick to get a good "feel" for the meat. I do let the meat cool a bit as the food service gloves offer no heat protection.

In regards to sauces.......nothing better than trying several of them. I offer 3-4 sauces every time I make pork. This serves a couple of purposes....YOU get to make several types, your guests get to try several types and then you can judge which is best.

Judging is very simple...I use the plastic squirt bottles that are used for ketchup and mustard....you may have to snip the tops off a bit. I then fill equally and at the end of the night simply see which has less.

My results after many years.......sweet red, then hot red, then mustard and finally vinegar. Not surprising since this is the heart of the midwest.

Stogie, I agree with you about the Wells Lamont gloves. I bought a pair after reading about them here, and those things get dang slippery when pulling pork...otherwise they do a great job.

I'm not sorry I bought them because they are great for lots of things involved in cooking, but I wish I could feel the meat better with them. They also are heat-resistant, not heat proof. Eventually you have to let your hands cool down some.

I don't think I could wait long enough to use the non-heat resistant gloves...

I never use gloves of any kind when pulling. I usually let the butts rest a bit after cooking and use tongs and my hands to seperate it into chunks. Then simply use my bare hands to pull as it seems to be cool enough to handle. Every now and then you need to pull the hands out for a bit, and then you can switch to some forks.
But it all depends on your threshhold for heat on the hands, and I think my past days as a cook have killed many a nerve ending in mine /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jamie

If you prefer it really shredded, there's always the two forks method. You can do it right after resting, even while still hot.

I tried two vinegar sauces in the smoke and spice book and they didn't go over too well with my family here in the west. I didn't mind them, but they are just too used to sweet red sauce. So I mixed the pork in the BRITU sauce that was left over and they loved it. Put it on hamburger buns with a light spread of horse radish and...OH MAN..the butt will be gone in no time.
I would reccommend that you make the vinegar sauces and try them, they are easy and you will then know what all the hype is about. Trying all of the regional styles is fun and beats traveling expenses. I am planning on trying all that I can, I don't want to miss out on anything.

KLynch.....here is a link to my recipe page. The sauces I enjoy the most are listed,. The sweet red I get the most compliments on is the Smokin on the Mountain Sauce. Now, keep in mind, this recipe site is NOT a BBQ site so I added the liquid smoke. When smoking, I simply eliminate the liquid smoke.

Probably the easiest way to heat anything up is to add some cayenne or japs or hab powder. If you find a favorite sweet red, just add enough hot pepper to taste. I also like to add both black and white pepper with the above ingredients.

Recipe Goldmine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back