Pork Loin or Tenderloin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyne try smoking either one without the ribs? Not much fat so I don't know if they would be too dry...

I have smoked a 4lb pork loin roast. It came out real tender with lots of flavor. I let it sit overnight in the fridge covered in rub and put it in the smoker for a couple of hours. I pulled it when the internal temp was at 140. This was on the lower rack, with some ribs on the top rack. I let it rest for a bit before slicing. My thinking is that if it was still pink in the middle, I'd just grill off the slices to finish. I was surprised to see that it waw pretty much cooked all the way through, not dried out at all. I sliced the roast into fairly thick "chops" and grilled them anyways to get some nice grill makes on them.

To do it again, I'd probably cut the roast in half, lengthwise to get the rub inside, then close it up and tie up with some butchers twine before letting it sit overnight.

My dad has done pork loin and put some turkey stuffing in it to keep it from drying out. mighty tasty

Loin and tender loin grills well and as stated by others can be smoked, I agree that lower finish temps is the name of the game here.
Besides turkey stuffing to help with moisture we did a bread crumb blue cheese stuffing that works very well.
Good luck and eating .
Jim

I've done several tenderloins, pre-marinated, self-marinated, and just with a rub. All came out great.

I have started to brine my loins. VERY big difference in juiciness, especially whgen you slow smoke.

I normally grill mine and brining is also a big help here.

I just got back from the MIM event in Macon, GA. Buster Dunn...Boggy Pond BBQ Brigade, chief cook....served a tenderloin stuffed with a link of sausage. May not sound like much, BUT, the sausage was inserted without opening the tenderloin!

He took a skinny boning knife and ran it thru the middle of the loin the entire length. Then he inserted a turky baster all the way up this slit...this helped to open the hole. He then partially froze the sausage link and pushed it into the hole.

He injected and wrapped bacon around the outside and cooked for 2 hours. We just sliced into small "coins" and ate as an appetizer.

GREAT stuff! I just had to do this when I got home and it came out wonderful.

Be sure your sausage is pre-cooked when doing this!

Man sounds like no one under 18 should be allowed to watch that procedure! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back