Pork Loin on the WSM

Bryan J

Any ideas how long this takes? A whole loin, about 8 lbs. What temp should I have the WSM at? What temp do I cook the loin until?

Thanks

You want to high heat it. Just use the WSM water pan empty, with a sheet of foil about an inch or so up off the bottom of the pan. It's a pretty quick cook. Temps you'll want 325º-350º Cook till an internal temp of 142º-143º is reached and let rest tented in foil for about 20-30 min. Carry over heat will cook it the rest of the way. Slice it thin and enjoy!

I would start checking it at about an hour - it'll overcook and dry out quickly (ask me how I know this). I agree with the 325 deg cooking temp and the internal temp suggestions. I am guessing that you'll be ready at around 12 - 15 minutes per pound. Note that at the 143 deg temp, your meat may still have a slight pink tint to it - as long as it reaches 140+ it safe but some folks have been trained to freak out if pork is pink. You may have to conduct a re-education campaign!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Note that at the 143 deg temp, your meat may still have a slight pink tint to it - as long as it reaches 140+ it safe but some folks have been trained to freak out if pork is pink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it will have slight pink to it. IIRC, pork only needs to reach and hold at 144º for something like 20 seconds to be safe. It's on the forum here somewhere. I'm at work, so I'm limited to as how much I can do, i.e. trying not to get caught on the forum. LOL!

Back