pork loin instead of a butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just went to my favorite butcher, who always has the best butts, and he was unfortunatley out. He convinced me, reluctantly, to smoke a pork loin instead. I was worried about the lower fat content, but he assured me that I could smoke and pull it and get good results. This guy really knows his meat, but I'm still skeptical. Any one pulled a smoked loin? Thanks,

Cameron Murrell
Holyoke Mass

Any loin that I have ever seen, does not contain enough internal fat, to cook low and slow. You could smoke roast it, at say 300?, with good results.
You won't be able to pull it, since the internal will be about 140? when it's done. Any higher than that, and you'll have a piece of concrete, IMHO.

Jim

Cameron,

I've never tried a pork loin, but the loin roasts that I've seen do appear to be signifigantly less fatty than the butt and shoulder. So you might have to do more chopping rather than pulling of the finished product to serve it on sandwiches.

If you give it a shot, let us know how it turns out. Good luck !

I got to learn to trust my instincts on these things, oh well. I just went out and found a nice butt, I'll do both tommorow, and let you know what happens.

Yes you can!

I was taught to make Porketta sammiches with pork loin. You slow roast in just a little water and then bring the meat to 200? and it is very pullable.

The way my Nona did it was in a roasting pan in the oven, covered, and allowed to cook all day. I have duplicated that many times and the porketta is very good.

The meat will be rather dry after pulling, but a quick dousing of your favorite liquid...we use the "gravy" from the roasting pan...will bring that meat back to life.

I imagine you could do the same in your smoker. Use a shallow foil pan with some water. By all means do NOT cover the meat completely! Just about an inch up the meat is plenty. I would certainly turn the loin several times during this process. After a couple of hours you should have enough smoke flavor. I would then cover the foil pan and continue cooking.

I have not tried this in the smoker so am just throwing out this idea. I do have a pork loin though so maybe I will experiment.

Loins are better in a grill on a spit. Make the following sauce and baste up at the end. Watch carefully asit will burn quickly after carmelizing.

1 cup red currant jelly
1/4 cup orange juice
zest from 1 orange
zest from 2/3 lemon

combine all and simmer for 15 minutes

baste repeatedly on roast at end of cook to get a thick glazing.

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back