Pork Loin and Loin Chops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
OK I've read tons of posts regarding smoking these and obviuosly these are best grilled, which I've done tons of times (chops anyway). There is a local bbq place that servers a pork loin sandwich, and I just love it....very smokey. I'd like to duplicate this. Not quite getting exact directions from the posts here, but it sounds like I could easily get it done. What about brining, either a loin or loin chops, cooking/smoking on the top grate, no water in pan, at high temp over 300, till done....145 or so. Would that be right? What about with no pan at all? What about not brining?

Kirk-

You're on the right track. I would suggest smoking the loin whole, and if you want chops, then slice them individually from the roast. If you want to put some grill marks on them, slice them about 10-15? shy of your end target. Trying to smoke individual chops would likely lead to dry chops unless you're really careful. I have smoked individual chops, but always bone-in like this:

Pork_Chop_Plated_091603.jpg

I know this looks pretty rare, but my therm is accurate, and this was oh so tasty and flavorul!!

The last loin I did was done with a dry, foiled water pan at about 300-350?. Don't remember how long it took, but I refuse to take pork past 140, so that's where mine came off. I did a dry rub that time, and think I'll try some sort of glaze next time.

Pork was nice and smokey, moist and yummy.

HTH,
Rich G.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich G:
[qb] Kirk-

I refuse to take pork past 140 [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For chops and tenderloins, I'm right with you. A little bit pink and juicy is absolutely the way to go. According to the stuff I've read recently, there hasn't been a case of Trichinosis in this country for over 50 years. So you don't have to cook pork to 10,000 degrees anymore. Most cookbooks will tell you 165. But I pull mine at 140-145 and it's lovely. Most swanky restaurants serve their pork medium rare, too.

" According to the stuff I've read recently, there hasn't been a case of Trichinosis in this country for over 50 years."

Whoa there!!! A mom and her daughter got Trichinosis a few years ago from eating sausage. As for me I'm not cooking less than 140-145.
Dan Z Lancaster Co.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... there hasn't been a case of Trichinosis in this country for over 50 years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ahem... I would imagine that the 90 people who came down with trichinosis in Iowa alone during 1990 would disagree with that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Though the rate of occurrance has decreased in the US since 1975, there are still many cases every year. The last known death was in 1986.

There has also been a rise in recent years of cases linked to improperly prepared wild game or linked to immigrants unfamiliar with proper food safety.

Interesting - according to health advisories, not only will cooking to an internal temperature of at least 150*F (170*F recommended) but that freezing at temps less than 10*F for 10 days (less than 5*F for 20 days recommended) will also kill the parasite.

D-

Interesting article on the CBBQA website:

CBBQA - Trichinosis

FWIW, I take my pork off the grill at 140?. It generally rises another 5-10? while resting, and is therefore plenty above the range for safety. My wife prefers it cooked more thoroughly, so her pork goes on the grill before mine. In addition, I will cook pork/chicken/beef that I serve my youngsters (2 & 4) more thoroughly as well just to avoid any issues with less developed immune systems should there be a problem.

Each of us must make his/her own decision on these things, and I try to accomodate my family and guests if they have specific preferences (I literally turn chicken breast into charcoal for a friend of mine who doesn't think it's safe any other way....)

Cheers,
R

I take exception to the 15% safety margin because you don't know if the thermometer is accurate. I can with my bare hands give a dial type thermometer more than a 15% error in 1 second flat. I only feel safe if I have checked calibration and with good brand name digitals costing $11 at Warehouse clubs digitals are better in my opinion and that of my county health inspector who mandated we use digitals.

According to the folks who make them the best way to check calibration is in a cup full of ice chips and water, which is not subject to change like boiling water where the boiling point changes based on air pressure.

Chris Lilly and Ray Lampe did a great cooking demo on Pork loins at the Royal. Any time you can get around those two it is well worth it IMO.

The consensus was 137 was safe and anything over 170 was cooked to death. With bounce cook to no more than than 160 and 145 to 155 after bounce is ideal.

Bounce is when the temp rises 5 to 10 degrees after you take it of the heat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Travis H:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... there hasn't been a case of Trichinosis in this country for over 50 years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ahem... I would imagine that the 90 people who came down with trichinosis in Iowa alone during 1990 would disagree with that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Though the rate of occurrance has decreased in the US since 1975, there are still many cases every year. The last known death was in 1986.

There has also been a rise in recent years of cases linked to improperly prepared wild game or linked to immigrants unfamiliar with proper food safety.

Interesting - according to health advisories, not only will cooking to an internal temperature of at least 150*F (170*F recommended) but that freezing at temps less than 10*F for 10 days (less than 5*F for 20 days recommended) will also kill the parasite. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I stand corrected!

Wow, this thread certainly took a left turn, from my original post. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There has also been a rise in recent years of cases linked to improperly prepared wild game or linked to immigrants unfamiliar with proper food safety.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Where are the immigrants getting the wild game? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I take pork loin off at 147? - not dry and not pink. Older people in my family won't eat pink pork. Brining and higher temp is the way to go. Pork loin basically has no fat, so it's real easy to dry out like a turkey breast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back