Pork injection question/help

Dave S

TVWBB Super Fan
I am doing a cook tomorrow for 20 and of course one item will be pulled pork. A 9lb shoulder. Everybody likes my pp from the past but I decided to inject it this year. I just whipped up a batch of Chris Lilly's pork injection. WOW is it salty!!!!. I am hesitant to use it, and would like some feedback from you guys who have tried it. Will it mellow out during the cook or should I make another one (SYD) or just go back to what I know works. I have until tonight to make a decision.

Thanks for any advice

Dave

Dave S;
I have not tried Chris Lilly's injection. However, my "go to" injection is SYD and I have had MORE than excellent results from that. So, I can definitely recommend Harry Soo's injection but cannot help you with the Lilly experience...

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I am not familiar with that recipe but if you think it's too salty you are right and salt is not something that you can undo.
I follow the KISS method on just about all my BBQ seasoning with a less is more approach.
The injection I like for pork butt is Mott's apple juice with just enough salt added that I can taste it in the juice.
I would stick with tried & proven or be conservative with the changes.

Thanks guys I have decided to go with my go to recipe. I will try to revive this topic in a new thread. Wishing all a safe and happy Fourth. I will do my best to post pics.

Dave

I thought that Lilly's was too sweet. I think that i got this from the virtual weber bullet site.
INJECTION INGREDIENTS:
1 cup apple juice or cider*
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar*
1/4 cup water*
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce*
1 1/2 teaspoons Bad Byron's Butt Rub(I use bbbr, but sub your favorite rub)
2 tablespoons brown sugar

PREPARATION*
In a non-reactive bowl, combine the apple juice, vinegar, water, worcestershire sauce, Pork rub and brown sugar. Whisk vigorously until all the sugar is dissolved.

This was a good injection! Pretty close to, but not as sweet as Chris Lilly's.

Back