Pork Crown Roast - to brine or not to brine?

curt van

I have a 13lb crown set to cook Saturday and I'm wondering if I should brine it over night before cooking? All-purpose or flavor brine? I've not done one before but is it basically pork loin with bones still attached? If I do brine, what type of seasoning would be good before cooking? Something without salt I would guess?

I have never brined one before but I do know that I go out of my way to buy pork that has not been injected with saltwater.

When I grill pork I like to season with kosher salt and a milder ground chile such as anch or auji amarillo.

It is bone-on loin, yes.

I sometimes flavor brine if I have the time - 2 to 3 days. If not, I don't brime at all. The key issue is not to take the loins to too high an internal temp. I pull at 142-144.

I've done crown roast a quite a number of times over the years. Also a good deal of bone in loin on the rotisserie. Typically with crown roast I haven't brined them.

Crown roast is always a hit and presentation is really cool.

Most important thing about bone in loin is to not over cook it IMHO. After that I have to say that I do like them brined, and have had a lot of positive comments.

When I have though - I haven't moved much from Rita Y's recipe though as I like it so much. It's worth the effort/checking out:

MOLASSES BRINED AND GRILLED THICK PORK CHOPS with VARIATIONS

When I used her recipe for the crown roast I only used the brine step.

I haven't cooked one of these in many years. In fact, the last time I tried I really had no idea of how to cook it, how long, nothing.

I like the idea of using a flavor brine, and I've cooked a number of pork loins and tenderloins, so I think I'd like to tackle this again.

Do you folks think this is a better candidate for the WSM or indirect on the kettle?

I'm guessing "roasting" temps, in the 300 range.

What are your reccomendations?

Well now I am second guessing the brine. With or without, I plan on using the WSM running 325-350 and pulling the meat around 140 internal. Is 24 hours in the brine good? I just picked this roast from the butcher and it looks awesome.

Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
I haven't cooked one of these in many years. In fact, the last time I tried I really had no idea of how to cook it, how long, nothing.

I like the idea of using a flavor brine, and I've cooked a number of pork loins and tenderloins, so I think I'd like to tackle this again.

Do you folks think this is a better candidate for the WSM or indirect on the kettle?

I'm guessing "roasting" temps, in the 300 range.

What are your reccomendations?

If you have a choice I would cook on the WSM. No need for low temp. Cook at the same temps as you would for an indoor cook. I like the WSM for this vs the Performer/Kettle as the food grate is well above the fire and I would use a dry water pan. Basically use the WSM as a dry oven and add just a little smoke if you are in to that. Me - I do a crown roast on the wsm over a dry pan and all lump. I don't add smoke wood. To each his own. I'd try to keep temps around 300-350 range, trying to shoot for 325.

Originally posted by curt van:
Well now I am second guessing the brine. With or without, I plan on using the WSM running 325-350 and pulling the meat around 140 internal. Is 24 hours in the brine good? I just picked this roast from the butcher and it looks awesome.

Yes use the WSM and I like your cook temp selection and the pull temp. I pull around 140-145 but shoot for 140 as I foil for a good 20-30 minutes after it comes off.

Brine will make it better IMHO. This is assuming you are using typically available pork roast and not heritage breeds. Heritage _ might skip the brine as unnecessary (except if I want to add flavoring) and cook at a little lower temps as they have more marbling and fat.

It's really about how much time you have to let it sit in the liquid. I would want to have at least 24 hours but did 48 on mine. Anything shorter than 24 hours for a roast like this and I would eliminate the brine. But that's my opinion. Reason is that if you are brining for flavor 24 hours would be minimum and if so maybe jack or double the flavor agents (NOT the salt!!).

Simple brining has positive effects regardless. So if you are shooting for water retention and tenderizing brining is worth it to me regardless of whether you are using it to add flavor or not.

Next time I do a bone in loin - going to try a buttermilk brine. I.E. - sub out the water and use buttermilk. Tried this with turkey over Thanksgiving and was quite pleased over the water based brine, which in itself I was quite happy with previous. Nice little tweak.

A buttermilk brine is superb for pork - and many other things. I use it often - with flavor puréed in.

If I flavor brine - buttermilk based or not - I want at least 2 days, preferably 3, or I don't bother.

Hah, my new found love for BM brining is only matched by Kevin's coaching to continue the experiment to pork. BM brining is not just for poultry!!

In addition Curt - take a look at that post from Rita up thread. It's a classic and will apply across the board for lean pork cuts. Even if you don't use it this cook.

I did look at Rita's and bookmarked it. I am cooking on Saturday so will try to get it soaking tonight. If I am flavor/buttermilk brined, do I just rinse off and cook or should I oil/season?

I really appreciate all the input.

I'm glad to find this thread. I was thinking about doing a Crown Roast or maybe a Pork loin rib roast for New Year's. The buttermilk brine sounds interesting. I also thought about injecting with something and then marinating or using a dry seasoning. I wasn't sure if injecting would really add that much flavor.

Originally posted by curt van:
I did look at Rita's and bookmarked it. I am cooking on Saturday so will try to get it soaking tonight. If I am flavor/buttermilk brined, do I just rinse off and cook or should I oil/season?

I really appreciate all the input.

I typically will rinse, pat dry then do whatever I was planning to do for the cook as far as rub or surface prep.

I ended up not going with buttermilk and went with a flavor brine for 48 hours, patted dry and went high heat, pulled at 140 internal and rested 30 minutes. It was awesome. New thread with pictures. Thank you all for the excellent advice.

Back