Pork @ Costco: bone in or out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John L

TVWBB Super Fan
I'd like to take a poll: on your Shoulder/Boston Butt do you prefer the one with bone in or boneless? I prefer the one with bone in (for various reasons), but have discovered that Costco has decided to go the boneless route for all their stores (unlike Sam's Club).

Which type do you prefer and why? Does it matter? Should I just go boneless or start a "we want bone in" campaign for people to fill out suggestion cards at Costco (that's what the Costco butcher recommended for requesting changes on high).

Any input would be appreciated.

I prefer bone in since it gives me a built-in "doneness tester". In the end, I don't think it affects the result, just a personal preference thing. It's one less thing to worry about when cutting up a butt to grind for sausage (then again, de-boning isn't that hard either.)

Color me neutral on this one.

Rich G.

Yeah, I like it for the "doneness tester" factor as well, plus it seems to give the butt more structure to hold it in place...the boneless ones are more like jello.

I also like the bone-in pork butt. I think you get a little extra flavor from the bone. I enjoy taking the butt off the smoker in front of my friends and then slide the bone out. It's clean as a whistle and it amazes people. They then know they are in for a treat of tender shredded meat.

All valid points. Me, I just don't care to pay 20 cents extra per pound of meat for the removal of a couple ounces of bone.

Again, my newbie-ness. How does a bone serve as a "doneness tester"-by how easily the meat comes off the bone? thanks.

It's sort of the other way around. When a butt is done, the bone can be removed from the mass of meat without any resistance. Think of it as Nature's popup timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back