Pork Butts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnS IL

Just got the weber settled in with 4 Pork Butts on
it.
First time with this much pork in one cooking.

Will update on how it is going.

Butts been on for about 2 hours now.

John

John, 4 Butts.
icon_eek.gif
Must be party time tomorrow.Or your really hungry. Keep us posted
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Bryan,
It is party time. I also have a neighbor who is doing 2 beef briskets. I just got back from his pit he just put his on the grate.

I am using TexasBBq #1 and hickory wood.

Hard time getting a selection of wood around here.

Easy choice is mesquite or hickory.

I am trying to find some oak or apple.

John, Your in for some Good Eats there buddy. Love that Texas BBQ #1. You have to try the peanuts. Soooooooo Good.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Bryan do you work for the Texas BBQ rub Co.? lol You would make a great salesman! I can't wait to be my rub I ordered yesterday!! I guess I will use the #2 first since I am doing a brisket. Oh yeah, what peanuts? Do they sell peanuts too?? I will check the web-site!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Bryan do you work for the Texas BBQ rub Co.? lol You would make a great salesman! I can't wait to be my rub I ordered yesterday!! I guess I will use the #2 first since I am doing a brisket. Oh yeah, what peanuts? Do they sell peanuts too?? I will check the web-site!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, LOL
icon_biggrin.gif
Just like their rub. Here's a link for the peanutsTexas BBQ Rub Peanuts Enjoy. Bryan

I put on a butt and brisket last night - butt went on about 8 pm (slashed, slathered, and Texas BBQ #1, 1st hickory, then oak). I had to separate the flat from the point on the brisket - it was done about 8 am, but the butt is still going. I even foiled the thing about 7 am at about 170. I'm looking at almost 18 hours right now - thermo says it's just about there, but I haven't opened the foil to see if it's collapsed or if I can pull the bone yet. (One single load of Kingsford, and still going strong 18 hours later, as usual). This is one of the more stubborn butts I've had in a while. It's the first butt I've done with the Texas BBQ #1 on it, so I'm looking forward to testing it.

It's for Grand-MaMa, though - and if Grand-mama places an order for butt, then it's gonna be the best durned butt I can create for her!
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I will foil the butt when I take it off.

The 4 butts (31 lbs. ) are at 194 right now and have been on 17 hours.

Looking good.

Pulled butts off at 3:30 PM. Total 18 hrs.

The temp of the butt was about 200 deg.

Wrapped in foil and a towel then to the cooler.

Let rest 1 hour then pulled.

Texas BBQ rub was huge sucess.
Compliments from everyone at a party of 45 poeple.

Oh well, gotta get back for seconds.

John

Just this week I had 2 butts that went for ever. 2 7 lbs that just wouldn't go over 193 degrees. After 20 hours I decided to take em off foiled and rested for 2 hours then pulled, they were great. These are the first ones I ever trimmed the fat cap off before cooking, and put them on the cooker fat side down. Don't know if that had anything to do with the long cook time. Other than the cook time I didn't notice much difference by trimming and cooking fat side down.

I've found that, when you get a butt that you want to get to 205° won't go over 195° for a couple of hours, just go ahead and pull it off-- it's done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
I've found that, when you get a butt that you _want_ to get to 205° won't go over 195° for a couple of hours, just go ahead and pull it off-- it's done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I second that ~ Not too long ago, I had a butt that went 23 hours with 220 to 225 degree pit temp and the butt never got over 185. Here's a graph of that cook ~ The butt was great and had actually been done for several hours.
Pork%20Butt%20with%20Texas%20BBQ%20Rub%20Graph%20Sm.jpg

Now you guys tell me...lol i cooked my first butt today on my brand new WSM and i couldn't get that butt to break 185. The brisket that was on the lower rack was done and I couldn't get the but any higher so I decided to finish it i nthe oven. When I picked it up and the butt fell apart. There was no doubt the butt was done but the the temp never registered over 185 on the Polder. Lesson learned....test using the bone, use the therm for ball park.

Hey Bill I like that graph. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Joe, It seems the more I cook on the WSM the less critical I am with the details. It just semms to work-or in your case, it was done when you checked the bone regardless what the therm said.

I'm remiss ... what do you all mean by "checking the bone." Do you mean does the meat readily pull away from the bone (like an overdone turkey)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back