Pork Butts - Transfer to Oven.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
My buddy says he does his BB's over briquettes until they hit 150-155 then foils and transfers to an oven for another 8 hours. I'm guessing around 200 to 225 degrees.

Seems a lot simpler to finish that way to me. But then again, I have limited space in the backyard, no porch or patio and just a few slate tiles to set my 22.5 on, and it's on an incline.

I think cooking should be simple. No need to complicate things.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've used that technique before, especially when they are taking way longer than expected. It works.
My preference is to cook them on the WSM until they are essentially done, and then I foil them and rest them in a cooler.
That's how I cook them at comps, and generally I do pretty well with that method.

I have done it when the butt just does not seem to want to finish and I am running out of coals.
My only thought is that it just sort of doesn't feel right. Smoking is meant to be done on the smoker not in the oven. At least in my warped mind.
How ever you do it the proof is in the taste so go for it and enjoy.

Mike

Yep, Im like Mike. I live in Michigan and it is COLD at night also all winter so I finish pork butt and brisket in the oven all the time. I run how ever much coal I have in the WSM cooker then foil and cook in the oven..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My only thought is that it just sort of doesn't feel right. Smoking is meant to be done on the smoker not in the oven. At least in my warped mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Mike. Know a lot of people for various reasons will start on the smoker and finish in the oven and that is OK. I've never had a "various reason" and I like to do the entire cook on the smoker.

The OP mentioned foil, so once you foil heat is heat. Nothin wrong with leavin em on the smoker to finish or transfer to the oven.
Middle of winter I'll use whatever works, and finishing in the oven does make the crib smell good.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I often do this method if I'm trying to turn out allot of pulled port in a short time. I've heard that meat will absorb as much smoke as it's ever going to get within the first few hours of smoking. I'm not sure I believe that, but I do believe that it gets as much smoke as I want it to get within the first few hours. Over smoked meat can be really nasty tasting.

What I haven't figured out, is what to do with all of those drippings you wind up with after foiling and finishing in the over. I keep a bit to moisten the meat if it has to sit very long. But that still leaves you with well over a cup per butt.

It's too smokey for gravy. Maybe as a base for brunswick stew? Or how about baked beans?

Back