Pork Butts 6-25-10

Michael Spurling

TVWBB Member
I smoked a couple of pork butts a few days ago ( fri. ) for a party my wife was having the next day ( Sat.)

They turned out to be a great success.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some great info on using a clay saucer; people's opinions on rubs and sauces; and reheating pulled pork the day after you've smoked it.

I bought 2 butts, bone in at my local BJ's wholesale store. One butt was was 8.61 lbs, the other was 8.64 lbs. - They were both 1.69 a pound !! The price of meat in my area has really gone up in the last 5-6 months.

I used the minion method in cooking, I used a clay saucer for the first time - It was great, cleanup was easier than a full water pan, the heat was great and solid - no probs. there.

I used Texas BBQ Rub - Grand Champion Style for my dry rub ( Thanks Bryan S. ). I removed most of the fat cap on both butts and rubbed Worcst. Sauce on both butts then applied the dry rub.

Used about 6 medium to small chunks of oak in my smoker.

Took about 10 hours for both butts to cook. When I took them off the smoker I let them rest in a pan with foil around each one individually for about 1.5 hours.

After pulling, discarding of the bones, fat, etc. I got 5 lbs 9 oz. of useable meat from both butts. Wished I would have gotten a bit more - oh well.

I mixed in some more dry rub with the meat after I pulled it.

I sealed the meat in plastic bags from my foodsaver. The next day I used the boiling water method - It worked out great. It was a bit of a guessing game to figure out when the meat was thoroughly heated - but the meat tasted excellent; still had moisture, wasnt dry, etc.

Overall - my best butts so far; many people had some good compliments, my wife thought it was my best yet. I thought it was my best tasting so far as well.

One of the sauces I used on a sandwich was Old Canal's Smokehouse BBQ Sauce - I used the Sweet. It was excellent. Also had some of the Sweet and Spicy Sauce.

http://s29.photobucket.com/alb...%20June%2025%202010/

Sounds great. I can't believe you ended up with just 1/3 the weight when you were finished. yowzers.

You should try making the No. 5 Sauce to go with it! And if you've got time, read (skim) the whole thread for extra ideas. But the basic works really well. Maybe sub apple juice for the water. If you are afraid of a strong vinegar flavor - don't be with this one. Reduce it over heat to your desired thickness and then let it rest for a day or more in the fridge. It most definitely gets better with age (to a point
icon_wink.gif
).

Thanks Michael - yeah, unforn the butts I had were a bit more fattier than some of the ones I have had in the past.

I will def try making that No. 5 sauce next time - I've heard/read a lot about it. I know it really compliments pulled pork.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Spurling:
After pulling, discarding of the bones, fat, etc. I got 5 lbs 9 oz. of useable meat from both butts. Wished I would have gotten a bit more - oh well.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, that's pretty good. Usually you only get about half - 4.3 lbs in your case. So you came out about 1.2 lbs ahead.
icon_wink.gif

Congrats!

Back