Pork Butt

Mark Cov

I am making two pork butts for my brothers graduation party tomorrow and I was just wondering what rack i should put the smaller of the 2 butts on. I though the bottom rack didnt get as hot as the top one so i was going to put the smaller one on the bottom but i just wanted to make sure. I have the smaller weber bullet and i always fill the water bowl with water.

thanks,
mark

I believe the conventional wisdom is that if you are putting water in the pan, then the bottom grate is cooler than the top, so your right to put the smaller butt below. I've had 3 8-pound butts on the top grate of my 18" WSM before, so you may be able to keep them all on top for easy access.

Good luck and have fun. Peter

Agree with Pete. Put the bigger butt near the hotter area. Personally, I would use two grates just one unless they are just way to big. Saves cleaning.

Not sure the raks make a huge difference, but if you have a remote thermometer like an ET 732, then put the probe in the smaller one as that will likely get done first.

Depending on their size, I'd put them both on the top rack just for ease of checking their temps. Be mindful that they will 'shrink' as they cook. If possible don't let them touch so as to let your smoke reach all the surface of your butts. Good luck

Back