Pork butt that wouldn't get above 163 degrees...... arghhh!

In partial defense of the cookbook, the time was accurate for slicing. It should have mentioned however, that if you want to pull the pork, you had better be prepared to extend your cooking time by several hours.

I think that maybe these cookbook authors abbreviate the cooking times to some degree on purpose. Maybe they feel that the average Joe Customer would be put off when he sees a 14 hour cooking time for a 7 lb. hunk of meat.

From now on, I plan on using cookbooks for ingredients and recipes, but for procedures and methods I'll stick with the advice on this forum.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Terril:
wife somewhat miffed that I bent the tines on every fork in the silverware drawer trying to pull.

Thanks for all the help!

Scott </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get you some of these

I have noticed the same things about other books, the times just aren't right to get the job finished.

Well, the book is clearly wrong. It all depends on cook temp. But Mill's mentions temps and his temps combined with his time concept is inaccurate.

Upthread, Melman mentions having a problem with Jamie Purviance's Real Grilling for the same reason. But Purviance is correct (in the link Melman provided) that temp is the thing. Purviance specifies in his recipe that the meat should cook at 'indirect medium' which, referring to the beginning of the book, means 350-450 and should, all other things equal, cook the butt (the recipe calls for a 5-6-pounder) in the time specified (the recipe says 5-6 hours). My problems with Purviance's recipe is that it's pretty bland and uninteresting (in contrast to many of the other recipes in the book), would be better if cooked lower (I wish the 'medium' that he uses for outdoor grilling corresponded to the 'medium' most of us use for oven roasting--it would make more sense), and would be better if he understood and explained 'bark' clearly (I don't think he barbecues much; I think it's clear he's more a 'grill guy' than a 'barbecue guy').

Mill's recipe is incorrect time/temp-wise, and one sees just this sort of problem repeated in numerous barbecue recipes. Purviance's recipe is correct time/temp wise but the problem(s) here are different, and one sees just these sorts of problems repeated in numerous barbecue recipes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Terril:
The nefarious pork plateau is not! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After a too long two weeks away from the shrine and only having this during that time:

http://hoopandcastercam.homeunix.net:25884/image.jpg

I am gratefully living and nuturing the "plateau" on project "bone in picnic". Should be a 24 hour cook once it breaks free.

Donald

Yup, 24 hour cook...

Cue the funky guitar music:

Pulled.jpg

Deep baritone:

Butter grilled bun... thick slab of white onion...

Wife calls it evil.

I have several smokers that all cook at various speeds or times. When I cook on the Bullet, butts take 15- 20 hours to get up to 195. When I use my new smoker, cooking at the same temps, the butts are done in 6-8 hours. Thermos are accurate, I check them all the time. Explain that to me!
icon_smile.gif

I guess it has to be heat loss. My new cooker is insulated very well so that has to be the reason. I guess. I have read many of these cookbooks about bbq over the years and I always thought that the times they gave were crazy fast until I learned that not all pits cook the same. I know this might ruffle a few feathers but that is not my intention at all. I am a fan of the WSM for the money and it has served me well but you can cook pork in 6 hours that is just as good as if it were cooked in 20. I do it all the time, and I cant hardly believe it either.

I havent read the book you guys are talking about but the thing about the cooking times caught my eye. If the author says you can cook at those quick times, he really isnt wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donald:
Yup, 24 hour cook...

Cue the funky guitar music:

Deep baritone:

Butter grilled bun... thick slab of white onion... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks gooooood Donald!
But you castercam link doesn't work. 'sup with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
link doesn't work. 'sup with that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were a few weird moments today when my everything wasn't working today (avatar - picture links), likely my isp, but I thought I'd been censored by tvwbb; I had previously alluded (but then de-alluded via edit) to the WSM as a marital aid. Well. I'm sorry. It is. There. I said it.

I've had a few early butts turn out this way, then I got me a Digital Probe thermometer so now I cook to the correct temperature and not on time.

Whenever I cook to a a time ,my meat turns out like this. For ISD, I cooked my butt to 190 and it totally fell apart on me when I picked it up. The bone when I pulled it out was 99.75% clean of meat.

Back