Pork butt sandwiches for 50 people???

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
Been following the thread below, but my answer hasn't come up yet. I'm thinking 8 butts for 50+ adults after a lot of beer and golf. It's a huge birthday party. (for me!) Anyway, how about 4 butts per cooker. I have two cookers- 4 on each one. No problem there, right???

No problem at all! It may increase your normal cook time a bit and use a little more fuel. Depending on the size of the butts, I'd do three on top and one on the bottom. I've put (3) seven lb butts on my top grate before with only minor touching of the meats.

About your quantity ... ON AVERAGE, one pork butt = 12/15 sandwiches. So five or six butts should suffice.
of course these numbers all depend on what other items you'll be serving (another meat, perhaps) and how long the service will last ... among other things.

Good Luck! It'll be fine.

Rick

Yeah well, I always way overdo quanity and ALWAYS end up with too much. Never cooked for a crowd this big before. I'll tone it down with your advice. ... As far as other food: We're having several vegetable plates out before, and some fruit and cheeses, etc. Along with the 'meal' we're having beans. Slaw between the buns too. ..... Thanks for the input!

Search the site for similar posts on this subject. I'm sure I read: 1/4 lb./person and that you only get about 50% from the weight of the whole uncooked butt. I did (6) 8 lb. butts for 75 people a few months ago. Remember that all the people might not want to eat pork. I made some boneless/skinless breasts to go along with the BBQ. I also had BBQ left over.

MikeZ

Back