Pork Butt Problems

Doug KC

TVWBB Fan
Lately we've been encountering a problem with pork butts. The issue is not all of it pulls like we want. Usually there is a muscle or two the we have to shred. We cook at 240-250 and foil at 180. We take it off when it's tender, usually around 200. Then we let it rest for an hour or so. I'm confused because we're taking it to a high enough temp I would think. Any thoughts? I'm just thinking we need to increase our rest time to 4 hours.

Try to lower you cooking temp to around 225 and you may want to try after wrapping, placing your butt in the smoker fat side up. This helps to sweeten and moisten the meet as the fat breaks down and self bastes the butt.

Don't know if these are the magic bullets, per say; but they may help slightly.

Good luck..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Usually there is a muscle or two the we have to shred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What do you mean? Those muscles don't pull? If you mash the muscle it doesn't fall apart easily?--effort is required to pull it apart?

What's the rationale for foiling at 180?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Usually there is a muscle or two the we have to shred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What do you mean? Those muscles don't pull? If you mash the muscle it doesn't fall apart easily?--effort is required to pull it apart?

What's the rationale for foiling at 180? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean usually the pork that pulls does so very easily. That muscles that don't pull very easy isn't very tender.

I wrap on 180 to get better bark than wrapping at 170. Now you're going to say, why are you wrapping at all? Great question. Just thought you needed to to get the most tender pork.

Well, yes, that would be my next question.

The situation at hand: If those portions aren't very tender then the butt is undercooked. How can that be with a 200 reading? Two ways: Your therm is wrong; or your therm isn't wrong but the temps are skewed. This can happen with foiled meats cooked at high heat--and it can happen with larger thick roasts (like butts) cooked at moderate temps as well. Migrating interior juices--the activity of which intensifies due to foiling--can skew the numbers.

Flipping when foiling can help, as Ed suggests. So can boosting your cook temp by 25 degrees after foiling. Still, check the various muscles with a probe when you think it's done (not for temp--for feel). If portions aren't softening nicely yet, rewrap and keep cooking till they do.

Resting longer can fix things as well, as you suspect, though it's still important that all portions of the butt reach the point where the residual cooking that takes place during resting will have the desired effect. Boosting the cook temp when foiling--or at least at the point when you estimate you have 30-40 min to go--can make residual cooking happen more quickly (though rest time--probably closer to 90 min--is still warranted), or you can simply rest longer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Well, yes, that would be my next question.

The situation at hand: If those portions aren't very tender then the butt is undercooked. How can that be with a 200 reading? Two ways: Your therm is wrong; or your therm isn't wrong but the temps are skewed. This can happen with foiled meats cooked at high heat--and it can happen with larger thick roasts (like butts) cooked at moderate temps as well. Migrating interior juices--the activity of which intensifies due to foiling--can skew the numbers.

Flipping when foiling can help, as Ed suggests. So can boosting your cook temp by 25 degrees after foiling. Still, check the various muscles with a probe when you think it's done (not for temp--for feel). If portions aren't softening nicely yet, rewrap and keep cooking till they do.

Resting longer can fix things as well, as you suspect, though it's still important that all portions of the butt reach the point where the residual cooking that takes place during resting will have the desired effect. Boosting the cook temp when foiling--or at least at the point when you estimate you have 30-40 min to go--can make residual cooking happen more quickly (though rest time--probably closer to 90 min--is still warranted), or you can simply rest longer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok the skewed temps makes sense to me. From your experience do you notice a big difference, if any, in the tenderness of a butt that is wrapped during the cooking process to a butt that is wrapped at the end and rests for 4 hours?

Thanks Keven and Ed.

To each his own.........I cook to an internal temperature of 195*, then foil, and let it rest in a cooler for 2 hours before pulling or chopping. Most of my butts are 8 lbs or bigger and I cook in the 250* range using the Piedmont Pan Mod along with a foiled terra cotta saucer. Usually cook 2 butts and this takes about 12 hrs in the WSM and another 2 hrs foiled and resting in a cooler. Have never had a problem with them not being tender.

I never use a therm to determine if the butt is done.

I just use the therm to probe for feel. If the butt wants to break apart when lifted, it's likely done.

Temps in butts can be all over the place, but whatever works....works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From your experience do you notice a big difference, if any, in the tenderness of a butt that is wrapped during the cooking process to a butt that is wrapped at the end and rests for 4 hours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In tenderness?--no. But I prefer the bark on butts foiled at finish rather than earlier. When I pull pork some of it I pull, some I chop, some--especially some from the bark-y edges--I cut into nuggets. I toss with a few splashes of finishing sauce to even out the mouthfeel. I like this combo (pulled, chopped, nuggets) visually and I like the texture in the mouth. Since I'm combining this way, and since I'm adding a little sauce, I like a bit of a drier bark finish, which I get from holding off on the foil.

Doug, I cook butts between 225 and 250. Frequently I observe different temps in different parts of the butt. I believe I get more even temps when I rotate the butt starting
fat down to set my rub. When the butt gets to 150 I flip and rotate the butt 90*. At 175* I flip and rotate 90*. This puts my rub back on top. I then lightly reseason the meat side and spray with apple juice and finish with the meat side up to around 200* or until it "jiggles" a little. Take it off cover with foil and let it cool in a pan. After it "jiggles" if you wrap it tight it will continue to cook and get mushy.

Back