Pork Butt Prices

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have always purchased my pork butts at a Southern California grocery chain by the name of Stater Bros. It seemed they put them on sale every other week for $.99 a pound. Now, they are never on sale and the non sale price has climbed from $1.59 to $1.99 a pound. The sales were during the winter months, so maybe the meat changes price depending upon the season. Anyway, what are the rest of you paying per pound?

Butch....

That price is pretty much the same as around here. I pay $1.24/lb. direct from the hog farmer.

You may want to look up a local meat distributor. They will normally sell to retail folks...you may just have to buy a little more.

Stogie

Stogie

Purchased two butts last month from our local supermarket (Wegman's) for $.99/lb. Picked up two yesterday, same store, to smoke over the weekend and paid $1.39/lb. At the local butcher shop, butts are special order, allow a couple or three/four days, and $1.29/lb. Local wholesaler requires 50 lb. minimum (same for baby back ribs) but the price is better - $.99/lb. Sam's has 'em, but I didn't check the price.

Que on!

Alan Bosch

Butch,

If you're a member, you might check-out your local Costco warehouse store. Many of the stores carry bone-in pork butt, two per cryovac package, for a pretty good price. Might be worth a look.

BTW, it's cool to hear from someone in San Bernardino! My Dad was born there, my Mom in Riverside, and they got married in Colton in 1961. I was born in Riverside and we lived in Grand Terrace for a while. Still have relatives in Riverside and Yucaipa.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 06-07-2001).]

Butch,
As a follow-up to my post yesterday... Sam's Club here in Rochester had Boston Butts in a 2-butt pack (that's very strange to type...) for $1.29/lb.

Que on!

Alan Bosch

There is no inflation??? - in southern NJ pork and beef prices have been stable for the past two years but everything else has been going up, fish has gotten really high.

Best wishes to the group,
Steve

I had a long talk with one of the management group of my grocery chain about the price of pork butts yesterday. He indicated that his chain runs sales on butts around the holidays--Thanksgiving through late January to meet the needs of their Latino customers. I told him I would appreciate him meeting the needs of his "smoking customers" as well. He laughed and said he would look into it. After talking with him, I bit the bullet and bought two butts at $1.99 a pound--they are currently enjoying their own smoke as I sit here.

The tip on Costco is appreciated. That is one strange company; they sell pork butts in some locations, but not in others. Here in San Bernardino, their butcher told me there was no market for butts. Also, Sam's Club doesn't carry them either. Oh well, I'll just pay the tab until next November and then I might just buy another Weber smoker and do 4 butts a day for a while!!!

Butch,

The only Costco in my area that carries pork butts is one in San Jose that caters to a large Hispanic community, so I go there to buy them. I assume it's the same situation with your Costco stores, as well.

Regards,
Chris

Butch

I don't know if you ever get into Fullerton but the Costco there has butts in the two pack all year. I was just there on Friday and they had them then.

Good old Safeway, in the Portland/Vancouver area, has Pork Butts on sale for $1.49/lb. The ones in the meat case were 4-5 pounders, so I talked to the butcher who told me they slice off a "steak" or two from each. They did have several "unaltered" butts in their cooler, packed two to a cyrovac package. Combined, they weighed 17 pounds, although not evenly divided, one was 10 lbs, the other 7. I cooked both the other night and have been enjoying pulled pork, sliced pork, pork quesadillas, and pork and egg ommellette these past few days

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back