Pork Butt or Brisket this weekend?

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
I am a newbie and have six smokes on the WSM. Haven't smoked anything in the last few weeks and have the itch to cook something this weekend. Time is not an issue, so I'm looking to the bar b que God's on this site for some guidance. Looking for receipe advice too!

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to offer up some advice!

Try doing a high heat bone in prime rib roast. Grab a rub from the archives here (I'm a huge fan of red, green and black peppercorns)and let it go for a few hours depending on temp and size. Serve it with a light jus or gravy and a starch/veg. Drink beer while it cooks though or it won't cook evenly.
For something longer and more traditional butt or brisket both work. Go outside your comfort zone with the rub and finish. If you usually do butts with a paprika rub and ketchup/vinegar finish, try a wet jerk rub and a marmalade based dipping sauce (all available here).
Sometimes we spend so much trying to perfect the good we miss out on the new.

Enjoy !

Jeff I've owned my wsm 22.5 for about 5 months. did 2 8lb pork butts last weekend using the mr. brown recipe off this site. 14.5 hours in 11 degree weather, came out great! Give it a try!
icon_biggrin.gif

A butt is always my favorite
icon_eek.gif
I am smoking a stuffed pork loin tomorrow, have some friends in town and this will be a different stuffing of the loin, so looking forward to it (again). Any route you take, you will enjoy it!! I will also be grilling for the big SF 49rs game...oh, the pressure! If time is not an issue, maybe try something that you have not done yet...

Went to three different grocery stores tonight and all I could find was the flat of the brisket. Plan on going to Sam's club tomorrow to see what they have. I have read yes and no to the water pan question for brisket and butts? What say the masses? Thanks for all the input so far!

Just the flat, IMO, is just ok. If that is what you are sooting for, do it. It is not "bad" by any means, but it is not like having the whole brisket. With just the flat, I would use the water pan. With a butt, I do use the water pan.

I felt the same way about just the flat... That is why I didn't buy it. I know they have butts at Sam's club and am hoping they have briskest there too. I'm assuming I would use the water pan with water for a brisket right? My major concern is keeping the wsm hot enough for that long... I've read it can be done so I have my fingers crossed!

You will be able to use either water in the pan (lower, longer cook) or no water (high heat). I would use water in the pan for just the flat, if that is the way you go. If you do a butt, I almost always use water in the pan...nice, consistent low heat for the butt. what is your weather conditions in NC? you really shouldnt have any problems with temperatures unless wind/rain is hitting your unit. You should be ok, and if you have those weather conditions, you can always put up wind blocks etc, to cut down on the exposure. Good luck!

Jeff, in my opinion no water. I haven't used it for years, for me, no need to. Especially if your concern is keeping her hot enough for that long (not that this is an issue with water either, just longer cooks dry as you don't have water absorbing energy/heat). I started using a clay saucer on about my 4 cook and haven't looked back. Give it a try, most don't use water again after going dry.

Let me know how it goes! The brisket has been on the WSM for about an hour and a half and the temp has settled at 240 with the three bottom vents almost closed completely. Going to be a long night as I don't see myself getting much sleep!

I'm going to try my first Boston Butt in the morning. 6 lb. butt bone in, how much time am I looking at if I keep it in the 225-250 range? I've read two hours per pound, but that's not WSM specific. Any insight?

Gerry,

I am a newbie and have not even smoked a butt yet but I have heard 60-70 minutes per pound it is a good guideline. Just remember that it is done when it's done. Based on the temps you plan on using, I would start checking the butt with a thermostat after five and a half hours. Again, I've read that your shooting for internal temps between 140-160.

There is another part of this site that offers up examples, recipes, etc... Here is the link for a butt I found: http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork1.html

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!! Make sure you take some pictures and post them too!

Back