Pork Butt on the E6

7.6 pounds from sam's club. I placed the mesquite wood chunks underneath the coals this time. Scored the fat cap since I saw the mad scientist on YouTube channel do that. So I'm trying that this time.

Target Temp is 275°. Pork butt went on the grill at about 8:00 a.m. and nearly 2 hours later the grate temp is 283°. Very stable.

Will follow up with additional pics. But here's a few from this morning.

I did place to b&b lump on top of the mesquite wood after I took the picture. And I am using the deflector plate.

Got the thermal works smoke X4 hooked up. And the picture of the grill shows nice smoke while the temperature was still climbing to the Target.

Attachments

• 20220225_065757.jpg
    20220225_065757.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220225_070916.jpg
    20220225_070916.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220225_071605.jpg
    20220225_071605.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220225_080212.jpg
    20220225_080212.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Mustard binder? Did you let the rub rest on the meat overnight or just applied same morning as this cook? Cooking fat side up or down? Estimated total cook time and then rest time for a 275°F cook?

I’m doing this same cook early tomorrow morning along with a chuck roast.

Mustard binder? Did you let the rub rest on the meat overnight or just applied same morning as this cook? Cooking fat side up or down? Estimated total cook time and then rest time for a 275°F cook?

I’m doing this same cook early tomorrow morning along with a chuck roast.

I used olive oil binder.

I applied the rub this morning, and it sat around for 45 minutes before the grill was ready to accept it.

Cooked fat side up.

I checked my notes and I had nothing for the last pork butt that I cooked. But that was too low of a temp. So based on 275°, I am estimating this thing to be about seven and a half hours cook time plus rest.

The internal temp is at 162 now and the grate temperature is 250°... That's nearly 4 hours into the cook.

The grate temperature did hover to about 300° and then I adjusted the vents to get it slowly back down and it was at 275 for a while and then it drifted down to 250 and now it's heading back up.

At 165 I'm going to wrap it in foil and put it back on the E6.

Edit:. Because I did not lift the lid yet, the grate temperature is approximately equal to the dome temperature. The two temperatures eventually converged.

Last edited:
Bad news. No wrapping for me. Apparently there's no dang aluminum foil in the whole house.

And I don't have butcher paper.

Maybe I can use parchment paper?

Edit:
Pulled it 170°. Had no choice but to use parchment paper. Wrapped and probed and back on the grill

Last edited:
Bad news. No wrapping for me. Apparently there's no dang aluminum foil in the whole house.

And I don't have picture paper.

Maybe I can use parchment paper?

Edit:
Pulled it 170°. Had no choice but to use parchment paper. Wrapped and probed and back on the grill
i prefer the pink bbq butcher paper. parchment will have to work for you since you're outta foil. i'm not a fan of foil on large meats. i don't like my meats to steam cook.

TY for your deets. some pics when you're done would be appreciated!

is your butt bone-in or boneless? that affects cook time, bone or no bone. i'm factoring 35-40% shrinkage. do you agree or disagree with this shrinkage percentage?

The butt was bone in.
I can neither agree nor disagree about the shrinkage. I'm not that experienced with pork butts :)

Pulled it off at 2:00. Internal temperature was 200° when I probed it in several areas. No resistance when I probed or very very little.

Still wrapped, sitting in a deep casserole dish and covered with towels, and in the oven (off, of course).

Total cook time 6 hours and 5 minutes for a 7.6 lb pork butt.

Here's a picture after arrested for a half an hour.

Attachments

• 20220225_143103.jpg
    20220225_143103.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The butt was bone in.
I can either agree nor disagree about the shrinkage. I'm not that experienced with pork butts :)

Pulled it off at 2:00. Internal temperature was 200° when I probed it in several areas. No resistance when I probed or very very little.

Still wrapped, sitting in a deep casserole dish and covered with towels, and in the oven (off, of course).

Total cook time 6 hours and 5 minutes for a 7.6 lb pork butt.

Here's a picture after arrested for a half an hour.
bone in is around 45-50% shrinkage. your's looks fantastic! your times are in line with my expectations for the E6, about 20% faster than a kettle (uninsulated cooker). then rest for 60-90 mins before chunking it by fork.

TY for your feedback and guidance. i'm looking forward to my cook tomorrow AM.

bone in is around 45-50% shrinkage. your's looks fantastic! your times are in line with my expectations for the E6, about 20% faster than a kettle (uninsulated cooker). then rest for 60-90 mins before chunking it by fork.

TY for your feedback and guidance. i'm looking forward to my cook tomorrow AM.

Thank you for the kind words.

I let it rest for 30 minutes before I started shredding it. I probably could have waited longer but it is very tender and flavorful. I am shredding as I go. I'm not shredding the whole thing at once.

The bone came out fairly cleanly. But not like them YouTube videos. I got a small little chunk of meat on the end of the bone. Then a pic of the final product sandwiches.

Attachments

• 20220225_145653.jpg
    20220225_145653.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220225_144843.jpg
    20220225_144843.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 11
Yes, me too. I splurged for these bear paws shredder. That were made in the usa. 13 bucks on amazon. They work well. Are they better than using two forks? Not in my opinion :)

But I have them now and I might as well keep them. Might work good against the home intruder in case I can't get to my firearm quickly enough. Haha

Yes, me too. I splurged for these bear paws shredder. That were made in the usa. 13 bucks on amazon. They work well. Are they better than using two forks? Not in my opinion :)

But I have them now and I might as well keep them. Might work good against the home intruder in case I can't get to my firearm quickly enough. Haha
i use this with a Harbor Freight 4" spade bit to shred mine: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...Hammer-Drill-with-Hard-Case-HR5212C/205650381

Last edited:

The Lord gave me ten fingers to shred with. Whether 🎸 or pork butt.

Back