Pork Butt Drippings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Bufalini

Does anyone use the drippings in their pulled pork to keep it moist? Just wondering if it is safe and what would be the best method of collecting the drippings while using water in the pan. Any help appreciated.

buff

Chris
The drippings are rendered fat and I would not add it back into pulled pork.
If you want to collect it place a pan under the butts, line the pan with foil, but hold the foil off the bottom of the pan. That way to fat will not burn up.
Jim

Chris

During the cooking the process, I spray the butts wth apple juice every hour or so after the first 5 hrs. Just a quick spray so the lid doesn't stay off long.

I mostly use sand in a foiled line pan with foil on top of the sand. Pan about 2/3 full. drippings will catch in it. With water in the pan, they just go into the water. I then skim off the fat/liquid the next day and put into frig. Turns into solid fat which I warm up and put on my dogs food - happy dog ! I don't need that extra fat so I don't use the drippings, it's not what you may think of as "meat juice".

After you pull the pork, I would remoisten with a liberal sprinkling of water over each layer in a pan, seal tightly with foil and then rewarm for about an hour in 300* oven. If you vacuum package, they can be rewarmed in the packages in boiling water.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I just came back from ABQ where I ate at Rudy's BBQ. With their pulled pork, there seemed to be some kind of grease, for lack of a better word, that made the pork moist and delicious. Just trying to duplicate. Will try your method as soon as it warms up here if ever. Thanks again.

buff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Bufalini:
[qb]With their pulled pork, there seemed to be some kind of grease, for lack of a better word, that made the pork moist and delicious.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They're probably using some type of fat to reheat the meat (butter or bacon grease). It may also be that they keep the pork warmed in a crock. Additional fat may render and mix in with the meat as a liquid. Next time you go back there ask'em!

Russ, I think you are on to something. When they get the meat, the server goes to the back and gets it out of the crock, the other meats are taken out of a warming unit and cut in front of you. All meats are wrapped in paper for serving and after the meal there is a fat residue. I am leaning toward the butter theory, will have to try it.

Thanks,
buff

I've seen the same thing just from internal fat, when I take the butts off the smoker at a temp under 190. I've tried to avoid that because when you eat it right away, it seems greasier. But I can see how it might be an advantage when holding it for a while. Maybe mixing it around to pick up spices from the bark, or adding a bit more rub, makes it that much better. There's so much fat there already, I'm sure you could come up with a way to use it without adding any extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back