Pork Butt -- cooking time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark F.

TVWBB Member
Hi,
I'm new to the Weber smoker and I'm planning on smoking my first pork butt this weekend. I've looked over a few recipes and they're all pretty much the same. The major difference between them, however, is the cooking time. Some say just 8 hours and others up to 19 hours. Which cooking time should I expect?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

Assuming a butt of about 7lbs, and a temp around 225 degrees, expect a long cook... up to 20 hours, maybe. My suggestions:

1. Use the Minion method for lighting the coals, and cook it overnight if possible.
2. If you need it done by a specific time, start it cooking at least 20 hours prior to that time. If it finishes early, it's real easy to keep warm until its time to pull & eat.

Good luck, and don't worry. As long as you're patient, it'll come out fine.

You should allow at least 2 hours per pound if not a little more. I usually do two 7-8 pounders at a time and need 15-17 hours. Don't go by time, go by internal temperature of about 195-200.

Mark

Go to the home page and look under cooking topics, then pork. You'll find very specific info on cooking butts and also info on firing up your cooker. I assume you're using a WSM. Use this forum as a venue for asking specific questions, but take advantage of the info Chris has put together on the other site.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone.

Paul G. - I had looked at the info Chris had (that's where I got the 19 hours) and I also have recipes from other places that had only 8 hours cooking time, but were similar in other ways. That's what got me confused. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

BTW: I've already got a 4-inch thick binder of awesome stuff printed from what Chris, and others, have posted on this website and forum! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mark

Sounds like you've done your homework.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to think a pork butt can be cooked in 8 hrs and done the way you see described here. 250 lid temp and all fat rendered, etc. Even the smaller butts, 5 to 6 lbs ae going to go beyond 10 hrs if truly cooked low and slow. The internal temp of 195 to 200 is the goal, but how you get there is even more important.

Until you've done it and seen the true difference in this method and the quicker cooks, you can't appreciate the difference. Believe me, it's truly "pig candy".

Paul

My last 7.5 lb. butt was done in a little over 8 hours, to a finishing temp of 205*. I cooked at 250*, measured at the grate, and foiled it-- tightly-- after it hit 150*. There's many ways to skin a... butt. I don't care so much about bark, but I get good smoke-- and smokering-- and moistness and tenderness using this method.

Keep in mind that if your temp runs relatively low, it is POSSIBLE that your butt may be perfectly well done at lower temperatures. Look at it - does it look likes it has collapsed in on itself? Get a good hold on the end of the flat bone and wiggle it around. Has the meat pulled away from the edges of the bone, and does it feel like it would pull right out of the meat if you tugged on it lightly? Those are both good ways to tell when it's really done. I've had butts done in 10 hours, and I've had 'em go 18 hours. I'm sure you've read this, but it bears repeating. Note that you will hit a temp plateau somewhere in the 160's to 170's. Your temp won't MOVE for what seems like forever, and you'll think your thermo has quit working. This is normal. Magic is happening. Don't rush it - the tough connective tissue is melting and the fat is rendering. Foiling will get you over this hump more quickly, I guess, but I prefer to let it cook on without the help of foil unless time has suddenly become a very important issue. Watch the internal temps as your guide, but also pay attention to the meat itself. On rare occasions, the temp on the thermo can be deceiving. Man, are you going to have some good eatin' soon! Enjoy...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back