Pork Butt Cooking Time ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnS IL

Looking at having a labor day party. Was hoping to eat around 5-6 pm.

Will be smoking 4 or 5,
7-8 pound pork butts.

Has anyone done this and how long will it take.

I have only done ribs on the WSM.

Thanks,

John, Butts are Butts. They can take anywhere from 1 1/2 hrs a lb to 2 hrs a lb. Or maybe a little longer. You can do them a day ahead of time pull them and reheat the next day. They taste just as good if not better the next day. If you want to cook them the same day just give yourself plenty of time incase they take longer than you thought. Cause Butts will be Butts.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan
Edit: here's a thread for you just in case you didn't see itStubborn BUTT

John,
Brian is right, give yourself plenty of extra time. Especially if you are doing all the butts on one WSM. Plan on a 20+ hour cook! I did 4 8lb picnics a couple weeks ago and they took 22 hours. Good luck!

In my experiences, a butt and a brisket on a WSM takes 16 hrs to reach a temp of 195. If you're going to cook all on 1 WSM then I would increase the time.

John

Five 8 lb buts may push the capacity of your WSM. The only problem will be fit. If you can squeeze them on without touching each other you're ok. Otherwise, I'd go with two overnights of 2 one night and 3 the other. You can pull and hold the first group in zip-lock freezer bags in frig for a couple of days.

With a single cook you'll likely go over 20 hrs, maybe 22 to 24. For that long you'll probably need to add fuel. I watch the temp gauge and add unlit through the door before all the coals are out. A gentle stirring of the coals with a broomstick will revive things many times.

If you're new at it I would use water in the pan rather than sand. Keep the water pan full. If you're going to be away from the cooker for a couple of hours or more, make sure it's full.

Have lots of rub available because you'll need it. Sprinkle it on the pulled pork as it is pulled.

Too much to try to tell you in one post, so read, read, read on the mainsite under "cooking".

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well. Have fun along the way.

Paul

John, I did 2 8 lbers on the top rack and they took up pretty much the whole thing. Instead of laying them down you might be able to lay them on their side and get 3 on per grate? Bryan

I would stick with 4 butts, they will feed a lot of people. I would start the butts on the WSM at 6pm the night before to give you enough time that they will be done between 12-2pm. Foil them good and place in a cooler with towels until you are ready to serve dinner.

I held 2 butts in a cooler for 5 hours yesterday and they were still hot (temp 160) from a high of 202.

With all the extra time you will have until dinner, you might as well throw some ribs and chicken on.

Not really adding anything new here, but I'd go for an overnight smoke. I was a little tentative to that the first time, especially since I didn't have an ET-73 to help check temp etc. But I've learned that's the only way to go (still don't have an ET-73). If you do start early in the morning, be prepared to wrap the butts in foil to get them finished by 5 pm. Butts and briskets stay AMAZINGLY hot wrapped in foil, in a cooler with some towels, so hot that even after resting for 4 hours they'll be very uncomfortable to pull with you bare fingers. Have fun!

Hey there!
I am up against almost the same scenerio.

I must have at about 25lbs of butt, smoked , pulled and ready to eat by noon on Sunday.

I have 1 cryovac at 13+ lb, two more at 12+ lb, I assume 2 butts in each cryo for a total of 6 butts.
After some trimming I am ballparking 2 Butts at about 6lbs and 4 at about 5 1/2 lbs, sound close?

To further complicate things the party is 4 hours away!

Right now, I am thinking that the best plan will be to do an overnighter when I get home from work on Friday night about 6:30pm. Then leave for upstate on Sat whenever the butts are ready (by 2:30PM? = 20 hours).

Keep them hot and wrapped up for the ride, but then I will have to chill them for food saftey reasons overnight. Then a re-heat in the morning.

At what temp to you guys heat up a chilled butt and for how long?

You'll want to pull the meat while it's still hot--or warm anyway--before you chill it. What are you re-heating in? Crock pots? Oven?

Jim

You'll be better off to arrange your start time so you'll have enough time to pull the pork before you leave on your trip. Store it in zip-lock freezer bags and reheat before the meal on Sun - either oven or crockpot will do, but CP will take longer. Remember to reseason with rub as you pull.

You're probably looking at a 12 to 17 hr cook, so set your start time accordingly. You could foil the butts and take them on the trip in the cooler if it's not going to be longer than 4 hrs. Then pull them when you get there and store the pulled pork in the frig.

Enjoy your cook and your trip. Bet you're 'gonna have some happy friends !

Paul

CP will take longer.
Alternatively, lay out your pulled pork in pans, spritz with a little apple juice or chicken stock, cover with foil and re-heat in a 200* oven til as hot as you want, stirring once suring the re-heat.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the tips fellas. I am reconsidering doing the cook ahead of time and instead may just head upstate realy early sat.

If I give myself about 26 hours from starting the minon method to pulled and ready, that should be pleanty of time. This way I will will not be sleepy for the long ride up and I can do the whole process in pretty much one shot.

Either way, thanks for the reheat tips. I may still need them!

Results to follow.

Jim, I grew up in Westchester, and it always killed me that people who grew up in Brooklyn consider Westchester to be upstate. I trust you are going to the REAL upstate.

Good luck on your cook!

I don't know Greg, are you sure you're not planning on ambushing me and my pork?
icon_smile.gif

My in-laws live in Central NY, close to the cit of Little Falls.

So yes Art, the "real" upstate.

As Art knows Jim, I used to live and now vacation in Saratoga Springs. Love going to the "SPA" in August. How about that Birdstone aye Art?!?!?! He is legit now!!

just a follow up.

I started the butts at 9:30PM. All four did fit without touching, total weight about 31 lbs.

Took all four butts off 18 hrs later with temps from 195 to 200.

All were perfect and just melted.

Thanks for all the input.

John S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back