Pork Butt Cook

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
Did 2 pork butts over the weekend...started on Saturday night around 10pm and they took forever!! Pulled the last one off around 3:30pm on Sunday!

Had just enough time to put the beans on and have them ready for the guests! Unfortunately, a lot of them decided not to show so I had a whole upulled butt when everyone left...oh well, more for me!!

Click here are the pics from beginning butts to pulled pork and of course...a tall cold BUDWEISER!!
icon_smile.gif

I also did 2 small butts and a brisket over the weekend and they only took 9 hours. Let them rest in foil in a cooler for 2 hours, took the butts out, squeezed them wearing my BBQ gloves and instant pulled pork. We've had pork sandwiches, pizza and next--Green Chile! My pork looked just like Greg's finished pic's--excellent!

I did 2 butts this weekend that took 20 hours to complete, "it was cold outside" but they were worth the wait. So good they didnt need sauce or bread, just teeth. Man I love that stuff.

9 hours for 2 butts and a brisket is about as fast of a cook as you can have. lol, so much for low n slow but I bet it still was good. I have successfully cooked butts in 9-10 hours but I needed to turn them a couple times so the bottom didnt burn. Way to go Mark with your cook. That green chili sounds interesting too!
DP

Hey Greg, I did the same exact cook. Put 'em on at 10 pm Saturday, pulled 'em off at 3:30 pm Sunday.

Got to use my new Maverick for the second time. I am liking that. The range isn't as good as I'd like, but being able to glance at the receiver rather than go outside to check the temps is fantastic.

Hey Guys, what for poundage were your butts. I think it helps some to hear how long they cooked, what the weight was. I like to compare notes also on time. I haven't done more than one butt for a cook, this w/e will ba my first. Hope to dig up 2 butts at 9 pounds. As always, thanks for the help.

Bob, go ahead, fill the WSM and cook 4 butts. it does not cost any more in charcoal and effort. Then I usually pull the bone out of two butts and freeze them with the Foodsaver. Reheat by boiling and they turn out as good as the ones that I chopped straight out of the resting phase. That gives ms a supply of Q at both places and cuts my planning horizon from 24 hours on a weekend to 2 hours any time.

I usually have about 30 lbs of meat in 4 butts and they take 15 to 20 hours

The two butts I cooked were Costco boneless. "aagggh!"
icon_biggrin.gif
(I like 'em with the bone better.) They were about 7-8 lbers. The smoker temp ranged from 230-240. Took from 10:00pm Saturday to 3:30pm Sunday. I injected 'em and rubbed 'em down. Let 'em sit while the WSM came up to temp. When they went in, the internal temp was about 45 degrees. Pulled 'em when the internal temp was 195.

Thanks for the info. Your are right Vernon, I should pack it in when I do the butts. I was seeing them on sale all the time at a supermarket called Giant for .99 a pound, regular price has been around 1.29, good, cheap eating either way. I have the food saver bags ready!
I never did a boneless John. Less flavor?

Just as another datapoint, it routinely takes me 18 hours to cook two 7ish pound butts if I cook them at 225 degrees at the grate.

Will do Susan. The butcher there has asked me to come back behind the counter several times, broke open a new case of butts, and let me pick out what I wanted. He saw me looking the first time at what was out, and asked "looking for something bigger to smoke?" How did he guess lol. 11#'s is the biggest I have found there.

Nope, Bob, not less flavor necessarily.

I like the ones with the bone for two reasons, they aren't so shapeless and the bone is the way I test for doneness.

The boneless flop when I put 'em on the WSM and spread out more into the hot zone near the edge. Guess I could truss 'em up a bit with some butcher's twine.

I agree with Ed...my butt cooks usually go 18 hrs at 225-230 in the WSM. Sometimes shorter or longer but typically 18hrs is a good mark for me!

Susan, I just picked up 2 picnics shoulder, not on sale, $1.19#. They also had a Whole shoulder "long", whatever that is. More down the leg I guess. That was $1.49/#. (not on sale either) That was at Giant's

Back