Pork butt and Loin smoke

JustinS-MN

Pork butt and Loin smoke (updated)

Found a 2 pack of 6 lbs pork butts at the grocery store yesterday for a decent price. I initially went in there just for a loin but the butts got my attention to. So I'm going to smoke it all today! One butt will be going to my girlfriends dad and the other will be ate later this week. I got up early to put the butts on and they are going strong holding right at 250-275. I'll keep this thread updated with pics as the day goes on.

About an hour after the butts went on, sorry not the greatest pic but i didnt want to open the cover all the way as it just got back up to temp.

20130430_064626.jpg

Butts off and loins going on.

20130430_143308.jpg

Butt 1 closeup

20130430_143812.jpg

Butts 1 and 2 together

20130430_143841.jpg

The loins, started slicing. Used a sweet and sassy rub from McCormicks and a Roadkill rub on the other.

20130430_154405.jpg

Loins turned out great, nice smokey flavor. Sorry no plated pics. Sides were a spinach, strawberry salad with a apple cider vinegar dressing and sliced almonds, and a side of mixed veggies. Pulled my pork butt while it was warm and after it rested. Also had an awesome flavor, but will be eating that in the next few days. There was a small, about half a fist, size of meat that didnt shred to easy, so it could have used a little bit longer. Overall successful cook considering how windy it was today, was a chore keeping the WSM at 225 even. I was aiming for 250. Now a question for you all. I seem to be going through wood chunks super fast. I used the minion method and had about 5-6 nice size chunks of wood in the coals. I put my lit in the middle. About 2 hours into the cook all the wood was burned up and I needed to add more. I ended up just adding a chunk every 30-60 minutes. Im thinking that maybe the wood is just to dry and is burning faster than it should. Any ideas? Sorry for the late update, but like I said I was having to mess with the smoker just to keep the temp up. Ill have to look into a windbreak or something.

Anyway thanks for looking! Overall good successful 2nd smoke (on wsm.) Looking forward to my next!

Last edited:

Back