Pork Butt and Brisket together, questions...

Mike Kolter

Hi all,

I'm having some guests this weekend and was thinking about smoking a brisket together with a butt. I haven't tried this before. Actually, I haven't done a brisket before. A few questions if you don't mind...

- Is it advisable to do them together?
- If so, it would be best if they were done at about the same time so I would put the brisket on sometime into the cook of the butt. But, will the brisket then have a good smoky flavor?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Mike

I would do them both together. I would put them on at the same time and only put chunks in at the start of the cook. This way I wouldn't have to worry about over or under smoking either piece of meat. Assuming they are near the same size the brisket will be done before the pork but it isn't really a big deal, just wrap it in foil and then hold. If only for an hour or two just put it in the microwave, any longer and I would put it in a cooler.

If you do it this way and the size assumptions are correct you'll want to do the brisket on the top rack, it will be accesible if you wish to foil and easier to take off since it will probably be done first.

Clark

I agree with Clark, with one exception. Put the butt on top and let the juices drip on the brisket. Put the butt on the bottom rack when you wrap the brisket, as, obviously, the drippings will no longer be a benefit. Either way is a winner, though.

Originally posted by Michael G.:
Putting the butt on top is fine unless you have any guests who are kosher of hallal in which case the pork should not drip onto the brisket.

Michael
That is not true. You can't cook pork in the same cooker, if serving people of the Jewish faith.
icon_wink.gif
See here for detailed info.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
Putting the butt on top is fine unless you have any guests who are kosher of hallal in which case the pork should not drip onto the brisket.

Michael
That is not true. You can't cook pork in the same cooker, if serving people of the Jewish faith.
icon_wink.gif
See here for detailed info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Strictly kosher people (not all of whom are of the Jewish faith by the way) won't eat pork no matter what. You could use 12 cookers, it wouldn't matter. Some won't eat anything at all cooked in a nonkosher environment period.They wouldn't eat the brisket either if it were nonkosher meat. Then there are those who keep kosher homes but will eat nonkosher elsewhere, maybe not pork, but nonkosher. Different people believe differently. Me? I'm grilling a pork loin tomorrow and bacon cheese burgers Sunday, but that's just me and how I was brought up.
icon_biggrin.gif

You're both right. I merely suggested that one ought avoid pork fat dripping onto the brisket so many people who are "somewhat" kosher won't have issues. I've made chicken for kosher friends on the same smoker as pork, and they've been all right with it.
I think there are as many ways of being kosher as there are kosher folks!

Originally posted by Michael G.:
I think there are as many ways of being kosher as there are kosher folks!
Yes, I agree with that Mike. No question about it.

Back