Pork Belly

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So, we have beercation coming up the week after next. For those of you that don't know, that's what we call our annual roving family reunion! This year, we're hosting it here in the QC, Charlotte!
Bacon is always needed, and the last 2 years, my family has gotten spoiled on mine!
I got a couple pounds and cured them using SR's recipe.
After cleaning the WSM and kettle, I put them on the WSM , along with some Asian spiced pork belly that is going to be served during beercation. I also put some chunks of pork belly on the kettle in an attempt to do glazed pork belly burnt ends.
This called for both of my large chimneys, one full, and one with about a dozen briqs of KBB.

42230335605_7c6cd7627d_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Phil Perrin, on Flickr[/IMG]
2 slabs of bacon and a slab and a half of Asian style went on the WSM.
42230336025_d807aa3d92_k.jpg
And some small chunks on the kettle for dinner.
43134523291_afd6a17fad_k.jpg
After a couple hours, the first chunk of pork belly came off. Internal temp of 165*
43136628501_fd60cd9c93_k.jpg
I also put the pork belly chunks into a small foil pan with some butter and brown sugar.
43136630511_d58748ab0b_k.jpg
This was just before the first chunk of bacon came off.
41326133180_cc0e40dc97_k.jpg
And, resting and cooling before vacuum sealing.
43087147062_b810b05470_k.jpg
The last chunk took a while longer, but was buttery tender when it did come off!
Oh yeah, those "ends"? I messed them up! After putting butter and brown sugar on them, I didn't get the lid on the kettle squarely back on, so I had a temp spike! They were slightly burned and overdone, but still tasty after they got sauced. :(
As usual, no plated pics.
But I promise to get plenty of pics during beercation! :cool:

Phil, it all looks delicious and I'm sure you are going to make a lot of people very happy. Enjoy your beercation.

Hope the beer is as good as that pork belly. You may need to revise your liquid refreshment list upwards.

YES!! more bacon burnt ends!! Can't wait for beercation pictures as well - since my recent beercation was delayed due to work. In all seriousness tho, that bacon looks gorgeous and I am a bit jealous hehe..

Back