Pork Belly Skin in Sausage

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Has anyone ever done it? I just made a large belly into bacon and froze the (cured and smoked) skin. The reason I saved it is because it was recommended in Cooking by Hand as an ingredient in Italian Sausage, but I've never heard of it before.

You will have to cut the rind by hand. There is no way a domestic grinder can grind a rind, as long as you do not cook it for several hours first. I have one of the most powerful domestic grinders there is, and it does not do rind. Period.
You'll have to cook it first for several hours, and then the whole point of adding rind is lost, as far as I can see. You can cut the rind into small pieces and add it to the mix when you stuff your sausages. I have eaten sausages made with rind added, and the rind adds deilicious chewey parts.

I can't imagine using rind in sausage without cooking it first, but to each his own.
The rind is definitely precooked when making Saucisse de Couenne (and ground with a standard meat grinder), it provides a welcome texture and mouthfeel.

~Martin

I should have checked first before assuming that noone cooks rind to use in sausages. if you think of it, it's natural that it is done. Before us they ate everything on the animal, and did not throw away anything. I stand corrected :)

Thanks everyone! It seemed odd to me, but Geir summed up the reasoning pretty well. Everything but the oink....

Back