Pork Belly Ribs

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I was at the Asian Market where I buy my pork bellies and I saw what they called pork belly ribs. It looked like they simply cut all the way down to the rib leaving as much meat and fat attached to the skin as possible. Any ever make bacon from this cut? It would make for a nice wide picece of bacon!

One of the places I get belly from offers it with or without ribs attached. I always go for the ribs on and remove the ribs myself. As you noted you'll end up with a much thicker piece of belly.

Marc, that will depend on how large the pig is raised too. Here in the Philippines, pigs are generally slaughtered when they are much smaller than in the USA and many other countries. I don't know if this is a Filipino thing or common across SE Asia. But my brother-in-law who works in a meat market says that the all their bigger pork comes from overseas and is not locally produced. The "fresh" stuff is substantially smaller. So Asian markets may have smaller pigs if they are providing what their patrons are accustomed to.

Steve, Your completely right it will depend upon the size, etc of the pig. However from what I've been able to source here, buying ribs on has consistently yielded a thicker belly then had I went the other way.

I went with the pork belly with the ribs attached. Much thicker than with the ribs removed. I figured I will cut the ribs off after smoking.

Back