Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Awesome, Rick. Those grits look delicious, too.
Made pbbe a few weeks back. Guests inhaled them. Those things are flavor-bombs.

Awesome, Rick. Those grits look delicious, too.
Made pbbe a few weeks back. Guests inhaled them. Those things are flavor-bombs.
Thanks!
We don't eat pork belly very often, but when the store has small slabs of it on sale, I pounce. This one was just over 2lbs which is perfect for the two of us. We have a few chunks leftover and Nachos is on the menu tonight for football. I'm thinking of dicing them up and topping off the Nachos with 'em...

Nice cook! The burnt ends look good but the grits really got my attention.
Thanks!
The grits are easy to make. I probably should post this response in the recipes thread...but it's not much of a recipe..
Make a batch of grits, stir in some grated cheddar, crumbled cooked bacon, and pour the mixture in a greased casserole dish. Refrigerate overnight...pat the top dry with paper towels, dust it with flower, put a cookie sheet on top of the casserole dish, flip it over to remove the slab of grits, pat dry, dust with flour, slice and fry them in bacon grease. I suggest a CI skillet, but non-stick works okay. They freeze really well...

Thanks!
The grits are easy to make. I probably should post this response in the recipes thread...but it's not much of a recipe..
Make a batch of grits, stir in some grated cheddar, crumbled cooked bacon, and pour the mixture in a greased casserole dish. Refrigerate overnight...pat the top dry with paper towels, dust it with flower, put a cookie sheet on top of the casserole dish, flip it over to remove the slab of grits, pat dry, dust with flour, slice and fry them in bacon grease. I suggest a CI skillet, but non-stick works okay. They freeze really well...
Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks for the recipe!
No problem....just remember to get them as dry as possible before you dust them with flour before they hit the skillet. I use better than bouillon chicken stock with the grits. 1 cup grits...4 cups stock, 1 cup of shredded cheddar and 4-6 slices of cooked bacon. I think I use a 9x13 or 11x7 glass casserole pan...can't remember which. When you pour the mixture in the greased pan...make sure to shake the pan to get the grits level so they brown evenly. Enjoy!

No problem....just remember to get them as dry as possible before you dust them with flour before they hit the skillet. I use better than bouillon chicken stock with the grits. 1 cup grits...4 cups stock, 1 cup of shredded cheddar and 4-6 slices of cooked bacon. I think I use a 9x13 or 11x7 glass casserole pan...can't remember which. When you pour the mixture in the greased pan...make sure to shake the pan to get the grits level so they brown evenly. Enjoy!
Thanks again. I see you’re from the Baltimore Metro area - nice place to live.

Thanks!
We don't eat pork belly very often, but when the store has small slabs of it on sale, I pounce. This one was just over 2lbs which is perfect for the two of us. We have a few chunks leftover and Nachos is on the menu tonight for football. I'm thinking of dicing them up and topping off the Nachos with 'em...
Oh man. That's a big old plate of "yes, please".

Back