Porcelain Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting..yeah thats the spot. Maybe over time..for whatever reason it weakens there at the weld. The slightest touch of the lid may just "pop" off a chip. There is no dent..it was a very crisp "break of paint" the paint chip and lines were very sharp.

Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Interesting..yeah thats the spot. Maybe over time..for whatever reason it weakens there at the weld. The slightest touch of the lid may just "pop" off a chip. There is no dent..it was a very crisp "break of paint" the paint chip and lines were very sharp.

I suspect that when the kettle heats up, the bowl expands but the weld limits how much the metal can expand at that point. So, it's like flexing the metal a little bit each time the kettle heats up or cools down, and at some point it pops off a circle of the porcelain. (Just a guess.)

Originally posted by Robert Black:
Just bought a used Performer and it has a couple dings on the lid. Looks like a grain of sand came in from outer space and shattered the porcelain. No ding can be seen from the inside the lid so no metal was moved. These dings are only about 1/8" in diameter. I plan on using a pencil eraser to remove the rust that has started.

I know, I'm probably "anal retentive" or whatever Freud called us but most of us in here are about our smokers and grills.

Any suggestions on the porcelain repair?
porcelainrepair.jpg

Somewhere I've read that enamel coated pans made by Le Creuset could be reenamled at places that specialize in repairing bathtubs. Perhaps you could take your Weber there for the same.

Originally posted by tjkoko:
reenamled at places that specialize in repairing bathtubs. Perhaps you could take your Weber there for the same.
No, no, no. This is "play time". Us kids in this discussion group are here asking how to get out of the house (away from the wife). It just "looks" like we like cookin' outdoors. You got to read between the lines. Just guessing, it would cost $200 or more to re-porcelain the lid. You can buy a new one for half that.

Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
Gary and c bay - I also have quarter-size blemishes near the same spot on my 1991 Red Performer. I bought the grill used a few months ago, so I can't say how (or when) the finish was compromised, but your pictures make me wonder if it is a common occurrence with red kettles (or red Performers). I do notice that the blemishes are located right where the grate supports are affixed (welded?) to the inside of the bowl. Is that the case with yours, as well?
Good call, mine are at the welds too. Interesting, I wonder why none of my other kettles have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back