Porcelain Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Black

TVWBB Fan
Just bought a used Performer and it has a couple dings on the lid. Looks like a grain of sand came in from outer space and shattered the porcelain. No ding can be seen from the inside the lid so no metal was moved. These dings are only about 1/8" in diameter. I plan on using a pencil eraser to remove the rust that has started.

I know, I'm probably "anal retentive" or whatever Freud called us but most of us in here are about our smokers and grills.

Any suggestions on the porcelain repair?
porcelainrepair.jpg

Hey Robert...I posted on your other thread, but get a can of 1200 duplicolor paint at an auto store. Tape it off...spray a few layers and you are good to go. I had a couple nicks on my bowl..the paint holds up very well..cant even tell its hardly there. Mine is red...but w/ your black you will not even notice after you paint it.

I've got a couple of those on my 06 OTG lid also.
I would guess a few grains of sand or whatever were on the lid prior to the porcelain app.
Might be worth a call to Weber CS.

Tim

Originally posted by Gary Michael:
I posted on your other thread, but get a can of 1200 duplicolor paint at an auto store.....
Yea, I went to the Dupli-Color web site and it says it has "ceramic formulation" which I'm guessing is a type of porcelain. After I use a pencil eraser to get rid of the rust I'm gona' spray some in a paper cup and use a cotton swab to lightly dab a dot of this paint on the two spots. You can't see the spots unless you're lookin' for them anyway they are so small. This should stop any future rust.
Originally posted by timothy:
Might be worth a call to Weber CS.
I feel bad enough that they are sending me two lid rollers for FREE. I'm just gona' do the "fix".
Anyone got a fix for my Weber "anal retentive" syndrome? I gota' quit hanging out in the discussion group for one thing!

Hey Gary, any chance you know the brand and color you used to match your red kettle? I have a couple of spots that I need to get fixed up. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Originally posted by c bay:
Hey Gary, any chance you know the brand and color you used to match your red kettle? I have a couple of spots that I need to get fixed up. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

I used Duplicolor 1200 degree paint. I bought this at the auto store. They make an 800 degree 1200 and 1800. The 1800 you have to "bake" on or something, but the 1200 is enough. It is not a "perfect" match but you will not notice after awhile. It will prevent rust so..its all good. I can take a pic of my repair if you want to see the color difference. I had one chip (about quarter size) and worked well.

Would love to see a pic. I have two chips, both about a quarter size. Does the Duplicator come in just one basic red?

I think there might be two, but...the other was more orange...so one "true" red I suppose. I will post a pic of the can and the chip...I will post this afternoon for you.

On the engine enamel ones they put out they do, on the high temp, its just red.

If the repairs are made on the lid...id the darker area that the lid naturally darkens on would be a Perfect match. It is not perfect on the bowl, BUT...it will not rust and after cooking on it...you will not notice. Nicks, scrapes...just adds character!

http://i299.photobucket.com/al.../gpalasz/zoomout.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/al...284/gpalasz/zoom.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/al...84/gpalasz/paint.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/al...284/gpalasz/done.jpg

Forgot to mention, I just took these when the grill was cold-not in use. Once you start cooking on it..the red bowl darkens and the paint blends well.

My chip is in the same location as yours, is this from the slide aside? The lid doesn't actually touch the bowl when it's in the slide aside, but I don't know what else it could be from. Thanks for the paint tips, I appreciate it.
Here is an updated picture of mine now that I have the missing parts back on. Painted the LP tank and it came out pretty much as good as new. I think I am going to repaint the cart next just so it looks extra nice. I can't express enough how much I dig the Performers.

http://www.slide.com/r/1I8-wwU...ed_url&view=original

interesting nick is in same place. This happened after I bought it. Kids were messing around and I thought someone hit it, as I saw the paint on the floor, but who knows. Your looks to be in great shape. I am 1/2 tempted to paint the frame, and prob will one of these days. The frame is pretty much the only thing I didnt replace. I received my new OPD tank and a new regulator last week.

I was going to replace the tank, but it was more than I paid for the grill itself. The tank was still in pretty good shape so I settled on a fresh coat of paint for $4. All in all I think it's in good shape, for a total investment of $70 ($40 + parts) I have no complaints. Yours looks to be quite nice too. What all did you have to replace? Mine was mostly hardware, cleaning system and slide aside. I also replaced the handle on the ash pan.

I wish I did not have to replace the tank but..I needed the OPD as I could not get anyone to fill up the old style. I Bought mine for $40. ( I have a thread here of the rebuild process) But I replaced...Grates, ash sweeper, lid rollers, end caps, Igniter,Thermometer, Stainless steel counter, tank and new regulator hose (weber did not charge me for that) And bought a new cover. So...pretty much brand new. Still came out cheaper than a new one...and I like the old ones better. S/S is cool...esp w/ the Red.

EASY-OFF Heavy Duty oven cleaner works great on getting old burned on stuff off the inside the kettle but DO NOT get it on any painted surface. Yes, I read the label. It said ok on "enamel". I assumed "enamel paint" was ok. WRONG!!! Didn't take the paint off but dulled the heck out of finish! D'oh!

Gary and c bay - I also have quarter-size blemishes near the same spot on my 1991 Red Performer. I bought the grill used a few months ago, so I can't say how (or when) the finish was compromised, but your pictures make me wonder if it is a common occurrence with red kettles (or red Performers). I do notice that the blemishes are located right where the grate supports are affixed (welded?) to the inside of the bowl. Is that the case with yours, as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back