POPCORN!! POPCORN!!!

I’m looking for an easy way to make popcorn healthy light and easy, preferably no oil, no butter.
Wife dies microwave for the kids but I’d like to try air popping any help???
I have an air popper in a cabinet somewhere. It works OK.

I find the extra fine popcorn salt works pretty well with any type of popcorn.

@Bruno , this microwave popper is the absolute best we've ever used, and only $12! The only fault I can think of is that at 3 qt. capacity it is on the smallish side but just right for the 2 of us. We have an 1100w Panasonic microwave that is very touchy with bagged popcorn but works great with this popper! I could go on and on about this popper...it "collapses", or folds, into a small size for storage and easy cleanup afterwards, you can use it with a small amount of oil or no oil, and has a molded-in kernel fill-to line so no measuring cups needed. Being made out of silicone it is unbreakable, but it does get hot so be careful! We have owned all the poppers, a WB Stir Crazy, an air popper, but this is hands down the best we've found, ever.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed for posting the link. I did a search on Amazon earlier and saw the popper. Love it in that red. Debating if I should order it. You made up my mind. Thanks!!!!:love:

@Bruno , this microwave popper is the absolute best we've ever used, and only $12! The only fault I can think of is that at 3 qt. capacity it is on the smallish side but just right for the 2 of us. We have an 1100w Panasonic microwave that is very touchy with bagged popcorn but works great with this popper! I could go on and on about this popper...it "collapses", or folds, into a small size for storage and easy cleanup afterwards, you can use it with a small amount of oil or no oil, and has a molded-in kernel fill-to line so no measuring cups needed. Being made out of silicone it is unbreakable, but it does get hot so be careful! We have owned all the poppers, a WB Stir Crazy, an air popper, but this is hands down the best we've found, ever.

Thanks Ed, just ordered one, this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping existed.

Thanks Ed for posting the link. I did a search on Amazon earlier and saw the popper. Love it in that red. Debating if I should order it. You made up my mind. Thanks!!!!:love:
You will not regret it! Like I say, our MW is 1100w and does an amazing job, no burnt popcorn, using Orville's (why would you use anything else?) Just be careful not to overfill...that upper fill-to line is dead-on with Orville's. These poppers will make great gifts!

EDIT: I'm not a popcorn snob (about Orville's, I mean)...if there is something out there that is better, please, let me know, but every other brand we have tried has been inferior. Life is too short to waste on bad popcorn!

Last edited:
HAPPY NATIONAL POPCORN DAY!!!!!!!

2 more goodies for our popcorn!!!!!!

Sriracha Salt

1/2 cup kosher salt
5 tsp. Sriracha

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix the salt with the Sriracha. Spread the mixture out thinly on the baking sheet and allow it to dry slowly, uncovered, for a day or two, stirring once or twice.
OR
Preheat the oven to 350F. Spread the Sriracha salt out thinly on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper, put it in the oven and turn the heat off. Allow the salt to sit in the oven until completely dry, about 2 to 3 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Sriracha Butter

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 TB. Sriracha
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TB. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Mix all ingredients, form into a log, refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Slice like medallions. Will last up to 4 to 6 months in the freezer.

This is for you Mark and my DH. ;)

Pancetta and Parm Popcorn

1 lb. thickly sliced pancetta (1/4"), diced
3/4 cup popcorn kernels
Kosher salt
1 TB. packed light brown sugar
2 TB. unsalted butter, melted
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. Place the pancetta in a cold, large, heavy-bottomed soup pot. Bring to medium heat and slowly cook the pancetta, stirring occasionally and making sure it does not burn, until very crispy. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on paper towels, reserving the fat in the pot.
2. Add 3 test kernels to the pot and cover. Once they pop, add the rest of the kernels and partially cover to let out steam. Once the kernels start popping aggressively, shake the pot to keep things moving. Once the popping frequency slows down, take the pot off the heat.
3. Blend 1 TB. salt and the brown sugar in a mini food processor to create a popcorn dust. Add the melted butter to the popcorn and stir, then add the pancetta, cheese and a couple pinches of the popcorn dust to taste. Shake vigorously to mix.

Source: Food Network mag. Jan. 2020 - Jeff Mauro
DH made this for me today. It was a little bit different than what I am used to, I ate it all, but I don't think I want to have this again. Wish I could give a better review.

We’ll round one in the books with my popper, it worked amazing, no oil and it was great plain popcorn.
Thanks again Ed.
I’ll take some action photos tomorrow.7921A747-2086-4DA9-8230-246CD2B1F88C.jpeg

Last edited:
We’ll round one in the books with my popper, it worked amazing, no oil and it was great plain popcorn.
Thanks again Ed.
I’ll take some action photos tomorrow.View attachment 43732
I am so glad you found this to be as amazing as we have!! Last night, I pushed the limits...3m10s in our microwave...ended up with about 10 -15 burnt pieces, which tainted the whole batch slightly. Still edible, but with an off-taste. There were only 3 or so kernels left unpopped at the bottom...one thing I've noticed is that my wife and I both favor the half-popped kernels at the bottom! Usually I get there first because she doesn't savor the soggy salty pieces at the bottom like I do, but I got dragged last night because I ate them first!

Hey fellow popcorn lovers, guess what I just found out? OK, I'll tell you. lol

On June 6, 1933, the FIRST drive-in theater opened. And what good is a movie without POPCORN?

NO GOOD!!!!!! We say :eek: Well, June 6 falls on a Monday this year. I may not go out to a movie, but you can bet I will be eating POPCORN while watching TV. Care to join me?

Thanks again Ed.
I’ll take some action photos tomorrow.View attachment 43732
We have one. We love it. Got rid of the whirly pop we had for years. Our favorite is about a TBSP coconut oil and a little salt. 2 minutes and we be done.

Darn, I looked this thread up thinking Nat'l Popcorn Day was in 2 days. Sorry, I am 1 month too early. :giggle: But I did have fun reading and looking at the pictures again. See you next month here.

I generally do popcorn in a medium saucepan on the kitchen stove. Whatever method you use, this works great if you like yours buttered. Use your normal amount of oil and add an equal amount of butter at the start. I like peanut oil as it doesn't impart any flavor. You can also add a pinch of salt at the same time. This evenly distributes the butter and salt without stirring or shaking in a bag.

Back