Poor Man’s Burnt Ends

Kelly C

TVWBB Pro
I just read a recipe for this using a chuck roast instead of a beef brisket and wondering who has made burnt ends with a chuck roast? How did it turn out? Do you recommend trying it?

Chuck roast is a beef shoulder and located adjacent to the brisket.

So you can cook it just like a a brisket or pork shoulder. Low/slow until it gets tender around 200F.

Barbacoa (pulled beef) or burnt ends are both great using chuck roast.

Going to drag this thread out of the past. I’m going to try a poor man’s burnt end today and was curious. On brisket cooks, there is always a rest period, but every poor man recipe that I’ve seen, they take the chuck off at the 205/ tender to probe stage, cube it and finish it in sauce. Would there be any benefit to resting the chuck the same as the brisket prior to cubing? I’m mostly asking because that would help my timing lol.

It's on my list to someday make burnt ends from brisket but so far in my ~ 2 years of making them I've only used chuck roast. And now I guess I'll try a rest. I probably don't make them the right way but I use 1:1 salt & pepper, smoke them to an internal temp of ~170f, then they may rest for a short span of time while I make the sauce, after which time they get cubed, sauced, and covered in a foil pan to their final temp of ~200f.

The sauce is 2-3c store-bought BBQ sauce depending on how many I'm doing, 1/4c brown sugar, 3 Tbsp honey. I follow this somewhat loosely.

It's on my list to someday make burnt ends from brisket but so far in my ~ 2 years of making them I've only used chuck roast. And now I guess I'll try a rest. I probably don't make them the right way but I use 1:1 salt & pepper, smoke them to an internal temp of ~170f, then they may rest for a short span of time while I make the sauce, after which time they get cubed, sauced, and covered in a foil pan to their final temp of ~200f.

The sauce is 2-3c store-bought BBQ sauce depending on how many I'm doing, 1/4c brown sugar, 3 Tbsp honey. I follow this somewhat loosely.
I’ve seen that also. Cubed after the stall and finished in sauce. And others doing the full cook, cubing, saucing and finishing on the heat for a few minutes, more like traditional ends. I went more traditional this time, I think? First time doing these, second time using the WSM.

Glad to see this thread being updated. I smoked burned ends recently with a brisket point. Turned out pretty good. Now I need to try it with a chuck roast.

Finally made these yesterday and glad I did. They turned out real good. Added stuffed mushrooms and mashed potatoes to the plate.
93395696-4948-46CA-ACE1-2E46FD5B4FD5.jpeg4B4F67C3-6025-4FAF-ADD7-2C3759146D1E.jpegB18F8389-09F2-48CA-A8E7-C633DBA2403A.jpeg49333501-5221-4305-96FF-D2F2953A6BF6.jpeg6BC5C9C5-AAB4-4649-A5D4-CDAA955DD947.jpegE4CEF234-79CC-45C3-9306-9ADAF48B2738.jpeg

Back