Pool Pump longevity

No, chlorine or salt doesn't effect pump longevity. It's the pump motor that has issues and I know you can just replace the motor. But I'm disinclined to do so as there are other seals and bearings which wear out.
DE filters are the most efficient and my filter is way oversized for our pool which is smaller...12-13,000 gallons??

Very nice pool.

Main shaft seals on pumps have a version for salt water pools.

Salt chlorine generators are downstream from the pump so it's not a factor.

Salt pools are great, even without a chlorine generator, but with one, even better.

Main shaft seals on pumps have a version for salt water pools.

Salt chlorine generators are downstream from the pump so it's not a factor.

Salt pools are great, even without a chlorine generator, but with one, even better.
I'm OK with chlorine. I've been through 3-4 of those Hayward chlorinators and tossed them after 1-2 years. Getting the screw down lids off was impossible, even with lubing the threads and O ring with Superlube and the special plastic wrench. I use the chlorine floater. Works perfectly.

I'm OK with chlorine. I've been through 3-4 of those Hayward chlorinators and tossed them after 1-2 years. Getting the screw down lids off was impossible, even with lubing the threads and O ring with Superlube and the special plastic wrench. I use the chlorine floater. Works perfectly.
I ditched that Hayward chlorinator thing after about three seasons myself. I swear I cut my knuckles up almost every time I took the lid off of it to refill the chlorine tablets. The floating chlorinator works much better and uses way less chlorine. You definitely live and learn when it comes to taking care of a pool and I think I'm pretty good at it now after about ten years.

I ditched that Hayward chlorinator thing after about three seasons myself. I swear I cut my knuckles up almost every time I took the lid off of it to refill the chlorine tablets. The floating chlorinator works much better and uses way less chlorine. You definitely live and learn when it comes to taking care of a pool and I think I'm pretty good at it now after about ten years.

Most of those gadgets for pools are just that, Ive tried everything for my pool and end up going back to simple as well.

Even the automated vacuums, I vacuum by hand or use a cheap auto one under the solar cover that works good enough. Same thing with treating the pool, I also float tablets but I use the multi tabs (they are $$$ this year, 180 bucks for s 25 pound bucket) that have all chemicals inside. I pretty much dont have to do anything else other then non chlorinated shock throughout the season.

I run my pump 24/7 although i might set up a timer this year to shut down for 8 hrs at night.

When i close the pool I buy a medium grade cover and just toss it after the winter. Even the most expensive one doesn't last more than 1 season and who wants to clean that anyway.

Solar covers also seem to only last about 2 or 3 seasons now.

Also I was thinking about changing my liner this season, 600 - 800 bucks just for the liner ??? Crazy ---

Robot skimmers are game changers.
I spent countless hours and $$$ on Polaris 360s. Hoses, bearings, tires, tail sponges...the list goes on. I ditched it 2 years ago for an inexpensive, cordless rechargeable robot from Amazon. It does a great job and it's easy to empty, clean and recharge. Ofuzzi Cyber 1200 Pro Cordless Robotic Pool Cleaner, Dual Navigation Path, Max.130 Mins Runtime, Stronger Suction Power Pool Robot for Above/In Ground Pools Up to 1076ft² (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL1RWJB8?tag=tvwb-20

Although, I see it's no longer available. If I get 3-4 seasons out of it, I'll get another similar one. I hate the Polaris.

Link below is the battery powered, solar recharged floating skimmer I bought. It easily saves me 10 to 15 mins a day.

The biggest win is it collects leaves in the shallow end away from the built-in skimmer before they sink to the bottom. Catching the leaves before they sink is the game changer.

Link below is the battery powered, solar recharged floating skimmer I bought. It easily saves me 10 to 15 mins a day.

The biggest win is it collects leaves in the shallow end away from the built-in skimmer before they sink to the bottom. Catching the leaves before they sink is the game changer.

I like the concept. Leaves aren't an issue for us. Not many trees with leaves nearby. The houses on either side of us have pools... although one is still being built and it hasn't been plastered yet. But the borough requires they border the pool decks with Leyland Cypress or Skyrocket Juniper or similar narrow, tall evergreens. We just have flowers and plants in pots.
Had a duck problem at the pool last year. But the owl and a floating pool flamingo keeps them away.
KKY Fake Plastic Owl Bird, Garden Owl Statue,Can Repel Pigeons Away from The House, Garden, Pool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B38FJC4?tag=tvwb-20

Leaves and other tree-based debris are the largest maint item for me.

Yesterday eve I emptied the basket for the skimmer robot, and I woke up to the pool looking like this:

20240610_072928.jpg

The skimmer basket is about 8" W x 10: length and 6" deep and overnight it collected this:

20240610_090707.jpg20240610_090755.jpg

Nice pool.

Well ya you got ivy hanging right into it! Looks great tho, I like it

Thanks. The "ivy" is star jasmine and smells wonderful when swimming when it is in bloom. . When it is done blooming I trim it back.

The main leaf droppers are the five 25 year old strawberry trees ( behind me in the pic above). a south east wind it blows leaves directly into the pool.

My neighbor to the north has three 50 foot redwoods and with a north wind it rains redwood needles and branches.

I spent countless hours and $$$ on Polaris 360s.
Perhaps you were unlucky with the 360, I have the 280 and to be honest have put very little money into it normal new tail sponge or whatever you call it, new bags which I buy from Amazon short money consider those normal maintenance items. 3 weeks ago on the side with 3 wheels 2 large one small in the middle the front wheel fell off. Wife took it to Leslie they put some tape on the screws which hold the front wheel on they screw into the frame the frame had stripped the screw holes. Guy did it for free did not even use plumbers tape which might have worked told her it won't last long will need to buy a new one.

He was correct lasted all of one day then the wheel fell off again this is a common problem with the 280 after many years and mine is 12-14 years old, luckily the metal plate with the screws that hold on the wheel stayed so no fishing for the plate and screws. They do sell the frame part for 65 bucks plus shipping found it online but that was the last resort so I found some marine JB weld which I figured would work but I called JB Weld Tech support. He asked me what kind of plastic it was no clue so he told me the marine is not what I want I needed the plastic bonder part#50139 which is waterproof also.

So I cleaned the screws with Acetone mixed a small batch filled the screw holes with some and covered the bottom 1/2 of the screws let a minute go by and screwed down the plate holding the wheel went easy got it tight enough without spinning it, I did put a block under the 280 to make sure that wheel was not touching cause it would put pressure pushing up the wheel and the screw plate. There is an adjustment on that plate to make sure the spline is properly contacting the wheel teeth I adjusted before it set then left it alone for 30 hours dumped into the pool all is well works better than it has in a few years. My guess it was not contacting the spline enough due to screws being loose.

Perhaps you were unlucky with the 360, I have the 280 and to be honest have put very little money into it normal new tail sponge or whatever you call it, new bags which I buy from Amazon short money consider those normal maintenance items. 3 weeks ago on the side with 3 wheels 2 large one small in the middle the front wheel fell off. Wife took it to Leslie they put some tape on the screws which hold the front wheel on they screw into the frame the frame had stripped the screw holes. Guy did it for free did not even use plumbers tape which might have worked told her it won't last long will need to buy a new one.

He was correct lasted all of one day then the wheel fell off again this is a common problem with the 280 after many years and mine is 12-14 years old, luckily the metal plate with the screws that hold on the wheel stayed so no fishing for the plate and screws. They do sell the frame part for 65 bucks plus shipping found it online but that was the last resort so I found some marine JB weld which I figured would work but I called JB Weld Tech support. He asked me what kind of plastic it was no clue so he told me the marine is not what I want I needed the plastic bonder part#50139 which is waterproof also.

So I cleaned the screws with Acetone mixed a small batch filled the screw holes with some and covered the bottom 1/2 of the screws let a minute go by and screwed down the plate holding the wheel went easy got it tight enough without spinning it, I did put a block under the 280 to make sure that wheel was not touching cause it would put pressure pushing up the wheel and the screw plate. There is an adjustment on that plate to make sure the spline is properly contacting the wheel teeth I adjusted before it set then left it alone for 30 hours dumped into the pool all is well works better than it has in a few years. My guess it was not contacting the spline enough due to screws being loose.
Exactly the kind of time eating tasks to maintain the thing that I got tired of.

I am a little confused about time eating tasks to maintain the thing you have a battery powered cleaner which I assume needs to be pulled and charged every day or every other day. You need to brush the sides of the pool which takes you 10 minutes a day if I remember cause the thing won't climb the sides of the pool. I basically do nothing except clean the bag which I assume you have to do that on the battery powered unit I get maybe not a bag but you have to clean it. I spent 30 minutes for the 280 fix cost me 8 or 9 bucks for the jb weld had to let it sit to cure but no big deal.

I hope it is working out for you but about the last thing I am going to do is drop a no name pool cleaner with a lithium battery into my pool not a chance I am willing to take.

Last edited:
I am a little confused about time eating tasks to maintain the thing you have a battery powered cleaner which I assume needs to be pulled and charged every day or every other day. You need to brush the sides of the pool which takes you 10 minutes a day if I remember cause the thing won't climb the sides of the pool. I basically do nothing except clean the bag which I assume you have to do that on the battery powered unit I get maybe not a bag but you have to clean it. I spent 30 minutes for the 280 fix cost me 8 or 9 bucks for the jb weld had to let it sit to cure but no big deal.

I hope it is working out for you but about the last thing I am going to do is drop a no name pool cleaner with a lithium battery into my pool not a chance I am willing to take.
I plug the charger into the top of the robot in an outdoor outlet 10' from the pool. I don't sit there and watch it charge. I do empty and rinse the screen and debris collection bin with the hose..
I don't brush the sides because there's nothing to brush. Sometimes I'll brush the steps or waterfall bench but the Polaris didn’t climb to clean them either.
I have zero worries about throwing a device with lithium batteries into the pool. That's like being afraid to carry your cell phone in your pocket.
On the 2 360s we've owned I replaced bearings, drive belts...which requires disassembly...a royal PIA, backup valves, pool wall fittings, tires, tails and sponges, bags, hoses, hose swivels, to name a few.

Last edited:
Back in business. Clean installation which included cutting out the feed line leftover from that stupid Hayward chlorinator.
Much more quiet than the old one. $1065 installed with the additional plumbing. Fair price to me.

Attachments

• PXL_20240613_212202711.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240613_212202711.MP.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6

Back