Pool Pump longevity

Jay D in Jersey

Closed Account
Had the pool pump at the beach house replaced 8 years ago. It's a Hayward Superpump 1hp. We had an unusually high amount of pollen this Spring along with a bit of new home construction nearby but I know the pool service cleaned the DE(diatomaceous earth) filter screens when the pool service folks closed it last Fall. Normally, you backwash it and add about 4-5 lbs. of DE back in. However, the backwash slide valve was jammed and they needed to drain the filter, clean the screen, clean the slide valve and grease the O rings. This is/was almost exactly 30 days after opening. Told me it was all good but when we got down Friday PM, pool looked like a swamp and the pump wasn't running. In fact, the cooling fan impeller shroud was rusted to bits and lying on the equipment deck. I got it running again and it seemed OK...but output seems very weak.
Time for a new pump. You folks with pools have any recommendations for brands other than Hayward?

Attachments

• PXL_20240609_123606257.jpg
    PXL_20240609_123606257.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Has the pool pump at the beach house replaced 8 years ago. It's a Hayward Superpump 1hp. We had an unusually high amount of pollen this Spring along with a bit of new home construction nearby but I know the pool service cleaned the DE(diatomaceous earth) filter screens when the pool service folks closed it last Fall. Normally, you backwash it and add about 4-5 lbs. of DE back in. However, the backwash slide valve was jammed and they needed to drain the filter, clean the screen, clean the slide calve snd grease the O rings. This is/was almost exactly 30 days after opening. Told me it was all good but whennwe got down Friday PM, pool looked like a swamp and the pump wasn't running. In fact, the cooling fan impeller shroud was rusted to bits and lying on the equipment deck. I got it running again and it seemed OK...but output seems very weak.
Time for a new pump. You folks with pools have any recommendations for brands other than Hayward?

Do you run it 24 / 7? Are you doing salt or chlorine? Is that pump exposed to the elements?

My filter rusts out after a while. I also have a hayward but not a monster like that. Cord goes bad etc ...
You can usually get lucky and score a pump off of marketplace or offer up from someone who isnt dumb like us and wants to get rid of their moneypit aahahaa

Ive gotten a couple for 50 bucks or so that were in great condition. I try and keep an eye out for them to have one as back up.

Im opening my pool today and Ill show u what I have. I run chlorine and DE and I have a 24' above ground, 54 deep.

Do you run it 24 / 7? Are you doing salt or chlorine? Is that pump exposed to the elements?

My filter rusts out after a while. I also have a hayward but not a monster like that. Cord goes bad etc ...
You can usually get lucky and score a pump off of marketplace or offer up from someone who isnt dumb like us and wants to get rid of their moneypit aahahaa

Ive gotten a couple for 50 bucks or so that were in great condition. I try and keep an eye out for them to have one as back up.

Im opening my pool today and Ill show u what I have. I run chlorine and DE and I have a 24' above ground, 54 deep.
It's chlorine. I run it about 11 hours per day every day from early May-mid October. It sits out completely exposed except for this plastic canopy I bought for it years ago. I'm going to go for a new Hayward...I'm sure it will be close to $1000 installed. The Pentairs look pretty good but are far more expensive. I'm not trusting the Chinese look alikes at 1/2 the price.

It's chlorine. I run it about 11 hours per day every day from early May-mid October. It sits out completely exposed except for this plastic canopy I bought for it years ago. I'm going to go for a new Hayward...I'm sure it will be close to $1000 installed. The Pentairs look pretty good but are far more expensive. I'm not trusting the Chinese look alikes at 1/2 the price.

Check offerup and marketplace 1st, you might be surprised at what you find

I get failed Heywoods and Pentairs along with crappy no names. The Heywoods and Pentairs don’t rot out. The Heywood one in the picture is well built. Copper windings and a substantial housing.

Beware of the skinny ones with no cooling fins and aluminum windings. They tend to rot out along with regular motor failure modes.

$1000 installed sounds like the going rate in the Northeast.

And you can Youtube educate yourself and do it if you want

I get failed Heywoods and Pentairs along with crappy no names. The Heywoods and Pentairs don’t rot out. The Heywood one in the picture is well built. Copper windings and a substantial housing.

Beware of the skinny ones with no cooling fins and aluminum windings. They tend to rot out along with regular motor failure modes.

$1000 installed sounds like the going rate in the Northeast.

And you can Youtube educate yourself and do it if you want
I hear you. I'm pretty good at DIY... but most of the pool stuff I leave to pros...and I hate plumbing.

This is probably my 3rd Heyward and its about rusted out, got a spare in the garage for when it dies ...

Attachments

• 20240609_092114.jpg
    20240609_092114.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240609_092117.jpg
    20240609_092117.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240609_092120.jpg
    20240609_092120.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240609_092122.jpg
    20240609_092122.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240609_092129.jpg
    20240609_092129.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 5
Pentair intelliflo is what my local solar pool heating installer uses.

Sta rite is another brand from the same company.

I have a sta rite vs 3050.

I suggest checking out troublefreepool.com

The have an excellent no nonsense forum.

Here is the sub forum for pumps and filters.

Lots of good info.

Last edited:
You might just need a new motor if pump impeller and basket are in good condition.

Much easier to swap a motor in than replacing the entire pump

You might just need a new motor if pump impeller and basket are in good condition.

Much easier to swap a motor in than replacing the entire pump
My concern there is that the unit has overheated triggering auto shut-off so the heat can damage the pump seals. I was considering replacing the entire system... filter included as it's 25 years old now. Pool service says it's fine. I stopped buying
heaters. They all sucked...never more than 3-4 years out of one. My belief is if the water is not warm enough for you in Avalon NJ between May-Sept.... don't jump in.

I don’t like sad pool users…

The big factor is having the pool ready now that it’s prime time. If you have a good service company they will just get it done
I agree. The pool service we use is very good. They're a family owned business that has been around for years. Extremely reliable. We can walk or ride our bikes to the beach but often just choose to sit by the pool. Also, pools aren't as maintenance intensive as those home buyer shows always seem to convey. Aside from vacuuming immediately after opening, the pool vacuum robot and filter do 95% of the work. I skim and empty the skimmers. Those skimmer socks are great too.

I wonder if the Chlorine is harder on those pumps my pool is salt water and is about 14 years old did have to replace the heater this year the new ones are half the size. We never heat the pool its for the hot tub which we get a good amount of use for. Our pool runs year round down here although to be honest since I am a baby its basically may - sept that I actually use it. We had a mild spring and it has not really even now got into the mid 80's and stayed there I was in yesterday still pretty chilly to me. :)

I just looked at mine really don't know anything about pools my wife handles everything and we just pay the man when something goes wrong. Looks like my pump is an AO Smith dual speed unit.

I wonder if the Chlorine is harder on those pumps my pool is salt water and is about 14 years old did have to replace the heater this year the new ones are half the size. We never heat the pool its for the hot tub which we get a good amount of use for. Our pool runs year round down here although to be honest since I am a baby its basically may - sept that I actually use it. We had a mild spring and it has not really even now got into the mid 80's and stayed there I was in yesterday still pretty chilly to me. :)
No, chlorine or salt doesn't effect pump longevity. It's the pump motor that has issues and I know you can just replace the motor. But I'm disinclined to do so as there are other seals and bearings which wear out.
DE filters are the most efficient and my filter is way oversized for our pool which is smaller...12-13,000 gallons??

Attachments

• PXL_20240519_145558330.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240519_145558330.MP.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 8
I think my pool is about 15k gallons the hot tub acts as a waterfall into the pool. My wife has it programmed to run at the lower speed certain parts of the day it costs more to run in the winter than the summer since it has a pool protection mode which kicks in below 32 degrees and we had a very cold winter for us got to 12 degrees a few times and did not get above 20. Had to break up some thin ice in the lower end of the pool since when it goes into protection mode it is circulating the spa portion to make sure that does not freeze, the deep end still never had any ice but it was for sure nerve wracking.

I love the pool its worth every cent we paid especially when the kids were younger, me maybe jump in twice a week on the weekends like I said still a bit chilly for me.

No, chlorine or salt doesn't effect pump longevity. It's the pump motor that has issues and I know you can just replace the motor. But I'm disinclined to do so as there are other seals and bearings which wear out.
DE filters are the most efficient and my filter is way oversized for our pool which is smaller...12-13,000 gallons??
That's a nice pic on a hot day!

Back