Pony Shoe on the Weber/Lavalock Griddle

B.A. Poole

TVWBB Fan
Recently I was going through the recipe section and discovered a thread named Eat your State/Country with a post by Timothy on the Horseshoe sandwich. This put the wheels in motion.

What to do. First, my griddle capability is limited so ordered a kettle griddle cuz I'm handsome not rich. I chose a simple Lavalock griddle for my Weber kettle to expand my capability.

I decided my "pony" would have buttered Texas Toast with a thin coat of Sweet Baby Ray's, an onion soup mix seasoned smash burger patty, sliced sauteed mushrooms, restraunt type fries and cheddar cheese sauce. A side of tossed salad would accompany it but missed the shot.

Oh man was that tasty! The Missus claimed "This is better than any restaurant“. Now for next time.....🤔

Attachments

• 20240629_135054.jpg
    20240629_135054.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240629_122010.jpg
    20240629_122010.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240629_123120.jpg
    20240629_123120.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My investigation shows the original sandwich had a piece of ham that resembled a "horse shoe".

The smaller sandwich only is a reduced portion, open face portion sandwich and due to its diminutive size was called a Pony shoe.

That size portion was still plenty large enough for my appetite. There seems to be a lot examples for each meal of the day. Nothing fancy or pretentious, just a simple diner type offering.

That sounds absolutely delicious! Love the creativity with the "Pony Shoe" name, especially considering the limitations of your griddle. Texas toast with Sweet Baby Ray's is a winning combo and the onion soup mix on the patty is a great flavor hack.

That sounds absolutely delicious! Love the creativity with the "Pony Shoe" name, especially considering the limitations of your griddle. Texas toast with Sweet Baby Ray's is a winning combo and the onion soup mix on the patty is a great flavor hack.
We have used the burger recipe on the Lipton Onion soup mix package for years. I usually blend 50/50 turkey and beef or 50/50 turkey and sausage.

Place in Morris, not too far from me serves them.
First time I tried one was in the early 70's at a truck stop mid state called Dixies.

The french fries represent the horseshoe nails. In Springfield they serve, or used to serve, it with a huge cresent shaped bread, stuffed with meat, flanked with sides, covered with fries. All Smothered with cheese. On the big sandwiches the fries are vertical!
I could only eat two without making a pig of myself.

Back