Ponca, AR/Buffalo National River

Tommy B

TVWBB Pro
If you have never had the pleasure I would recommend checking out The Buffalo National River. We stayed in Ponca, AR (population 13 according to the sign). The rivers claim to fame is being named the first national river by congress. There were several national parks prior to the first national river. It is situated in the north west part of Arkansas. My inlaws rented a cabin over New Years. We had the chance to hike two trails. One was Glory Hole Falls and the other was Whitakers Peak. I wish I had more pictures but wanted to share.

Extraordinary photos, Tommy!

Years ago my daughter and I canoed the Buffalo for 3 days. It was absolutely stunning. One of the things I remember best was that our little tent was on a sandbar across a narrow section of the river from a very tall rock cliff rising above the river. It was a little disconcerting in the pitch dark of night to hear rocks and boulders occasionally careening from the cliff into the river so close to us. I think maybe the extreme temperature change from the heat of the day to the cold of the night might have loosened them.

Last edited:
It was 30-40 degree when we went... I would love to return and canoe! Awesome part of the country!

Northwest Arkansas is a beautiful part of the state. Have a lot of family still there.

Back