Pleased with WSM!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It took some doing to convince me to put out an extra hundred for the WSM over the cheaper models but this forum did it. Mine arrived from Amazon in excellent condition even though UPS was not nice to the box (bottom open and sides caved in). Have completed two cooks with chicken and ribs, both came out very good. I am amazed at it's ability to keep the temp steady. I had a couple of times when it almost got away from me but I think that I was expecting minor vent changes to take effect too soon and over-corrected. The extra hundred was well spent! Looking forward to learning from and sharing with this forum!

That's a common mistake made by most WSM new users (I know I did the same). Once you get used to it, you won't believe how steady it holds temp with only a slight adjustment.

Smokin' Jim in NC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Earl J:
[qb]The extra hundred was well spent! Looking forward to learning from and sharing with this forum! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You will remember the quality of the WSM long after you've forgotten the price. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for joining us,
Chris

Earl, I used mine on a 20 hour cook that ended today. During the 20 hours, I had to adjust the vents exactly 2 times. The WSM is awesome. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I had a couple of times when it almost got away from me but I think that I was expecting minor vent changes to take effect too soon and over-corrected <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah I made the same mistake on my first couple of cooks. I just couldn't believe that a small change in one of those vents would make much of a difference. I only adjust 1 vent a time now. I work with one vent going from 25% to 50% and then 100%. Then I move to the next vent with the same technique. I'm not sure this the best way to deal with temp changes but it seems to work pretty well for me. One thing I did was to add some expanded metal to the charcoal grate. It's a great mod and very easy to do. It really allows you to get the most out of your fuel. I just took the charcoal grate and traced it on top of a piece of expanded metal and used a pair of bolt cuters to cut a perfect circle that fits right on top of the coal grate. No more premature loss of coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back