Plans for WSM caddy

Originally posted by Spiro D:
Paul I saw the pics it looks great, are your plans public meaning can you pass them on (share)??? I am not quite sure How I would mount a 22.5 inch gold kettle in that unit.....the handles may pose an issue

make the hole so it is a little bigger than the kettle at the handles(for an air gap), let the handles rest on the tabletop and use a couple of plastic or metal 2 hole conduit straps around the handles to keep the kettle from sliding around.

Spiro, send me your address at my email address. I'll look for the plans tonight. Will mail them to you
Originally posted by Spiro D:
Paul........

I only saw the pis, I also did the search as you suggested, and I could not find those plans anywhere on the site.......you can e-mail them to me if you have time. I think it would be faster

Paul,

I would be interested in receiving your WSM caddy plans as well. What did you use to act as a wind block? How do you access the bottom vents? Can you use this caddy in the rain?

Also, could you send me the photos? When I click on the photos in your link, I get a "404 Not Found"

Thanks.
Dave

Dave, here is a link to the plans I used. http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/plans/index.php?cat=694. I made some mods to this such as the swinging doors,the granite tile cook top,etc.I installed leg guides which only allow me to put the bottom of the WSM in one way. I also marked the front two legs with the letter "f" so that I know which two legs fit in the forward guides.By doing this it allows me access to all my vents consistantly. I had to solve the rain problem by buying an EZ up tent to put over it . Doug D suggested a large golf umbrella which would have worked but with the tent I can bring a power line and a clamp on lamp out to it and I've got a great source of light. Try this link for the pics http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Uy=-6k8pj5...1197979238999&page=1

Hey Paul - can't get beyond the thumbnails of your pics. Wondering if you can repost? Very interested in your WSM cart project/plans.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Would you also repost the pictures, like r benash asked as well...I get the same error.

Thanks again.
Dave

Paul's link to kodakgallery is working fine for me using IE ~ Clicking on the thumbnails is opening up larger versions.

Bill

Waaaa
icon_confused.gif
Firefox and IE both hand me a 404 not found error when I click the thumbnails or slideshow.

Ray

Are you using Paul's link from 5 posts up or one of his earlier posts?

Here's his 1st pic moved over to imageshack. If clicking on this works, I'll post the other 5. I don't think Paul would mind.
icon_smile.gif
Chris might though..
icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: I've added the rest.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Wow, that thing is sweet. I just found a new project. This may be a silly question, but how do you add charcoal?

I was thinking of adding hinges to the top to open it all the way up if needed. Is that doable with the design you have?

What would be a good lid hanger for the side of this?

Bill - thanks for posting them here. Working fine now.Paul - nice work. Lot's of great ideas in your solution. I'd appreciate a copy of your modified plans. I know you've had several requests, I'd be happy to pay any reasonable price to have them on hand.

Ray

Bill, thanks for the assist with the pics. As far as the other questions are concerned. I take the bowl out and fill it with charcoal then lift it in. It's cumbersome to do it while it's in the cart but can be done. Yes, the top could be hinged but you'd have to add some reinforcements along the side??. The main problem with it other than rain protection is putting my temp probes in the WSM. The way the unit is situated inside the cart they are difficult to get out. It usually requires me lifting the unit out enough for me to get the probes out.Not a pleasant task after a cook. If you guys are interested in the mods done to the unit just email me using "WSM mods" as the subject. I'll get back to you. I only work three days a week anymore so I'll get back to you ASAP. In hindsite, I'd add an extra set of wheels in back so all you'd have to do is push this puppy around. It's quite heavy since it's made from treated wood.

John, Had my cart for over two years now with no appreciable warping. I have a cover for the cart which makes me think I really didn't need to use the treated lumber but I'm glad I did because occasionally I forget to cover it up and it does get wet.Treated lumber does add to the overall weight of the cart. Sometimes it was real hard to drag this baby around.However, in my new house it stays in one area-never moves.

Back