Pizza

Thanks Drew! Unbelievably easy to make. The wife likes it chunky like the pictures, but I usually pour half of it off and blend it to be more like traditional sauce.

John, The last pizzas I did a few months ago were as good as any I've ever eaten, and the family loved them. Why we haven't done any more since I cannot say, but I'm dying to do them again! Yours look great, by the way.

John;
How about a run down as to your method from start to finish?

I'm planning to try some Pizza in the next couple of days. I plan to set my pizza stone on a couple of fire bricks stood on end to get them away from the grill a few inches and closer to the higher heat in the top of the OTG. My thinking is to get the top stuff to cook before the crust over cooks. Of course, I plan to cook any meat first but I want my cheese to melt completely before I burn the crust.

It is obvious that you have the process "dialed in"...

Any comments will be appreciated.

Dale53

Nice job man. Don't worry about the no-cheese eater. There's lots of no cheese options. Some of my favorites (if I may...):

-Pizza marinara (sauce, slices garlic, oregano)
-rosemary and bacon
-olive oil, sea salt, black pepper
-transparent slices of potato, rosemary, and salt
-prosciutto and figs
-shrimp, shaved fennel, and lemon zest
-caramelized onion and anything

Stan

Thanks everyone....

Daiquan...very easy. actually shockingly easy. The prep for the dough takes a while, and the sauce takes a few hours to cook, but otherwise no real trouble.

Stan.....the wife is a no-cheese, no-meat pizza eater. I wont let her claim to be a pizza eater to anyone. She looks good for it though. I definitely have a pizza eaters belly.

Robert....For the sauce i grill a white onion and 3lbs of Roma tomatoes. I grill them until they have nice marks on the fleshy side and the skins are pulling away. After they cool, I skin them and slice the onion fairly small. It all goes into a pot with 7-8 smashed cloves of garlic, a good splash of olive oil, black pepper, kosher salt, about a 1/4 cup of smoked paprika, 1/2 cup of any store bought dry italian seasoning, 1 large can of stewed tomatoes with the juice, and most importantly, a smallish bunch of chopped, FRESH, basil leaves. throw it all in there and simmer for 4-5 hours.

For the dough, 1 pack of instant dried yeast in a bowl with 2 cups of hot water and a spoon of sugar. Let that sit for 10 minutes or until it gets a good layer of foam on top. besides that, you'll need 3 cups of flour (i use all purpose), about 3tbs of olive oil and another cup of water. I use an electric bread mixer, but put the yeast and water in the bowl, add the oil and half the flour and start mixing slowly. Once the flour and water mix, slowly add the remaining flour and mix until the dough either climbs the bread hook if you're using a mixer, or the dough forms a ball and doesn't stick to your hands if you're hand kneading/mixing. If the dough feels too sticky after all the ingredients are mixed, add a little flour. If it feels to dry, add a little water. Very forgiving. Once it makes a ball, put it in an oiled bowl that has room for it to double in size, and put it in your oven or another warm place and let it sit for an hour to rise.

Once it rises, knead it again on a floured surface, separate it into 3 balls, and either make a pizza with it or refrigerate it for up to 3 days. Now what I do, is knead it onto a floured surface, then put it on a pizza pan that's dusted with corn meal. I think it helps it keep from sticking and it tastes pretty good too.

Once the sauce is done, I take half of it and run it through a blender. The wife likes chunky sauce, I like it more traditional. I spread olive oil on the dough, then the sauce, then the toppings. The oil actually keeps the sauce from making the crust soggy.

Now I have never cooked it on my WSM, but I have used a coal grill and a gasser. I prefer my gasser (I know, blasphemy)because I can get it really hot, really fast. I have a 4 burner, so I put the outer burners full blast and the middle burners med/low. I put the pan on and just turn it 45 degrees every 3 minutes. I keep lifting the edges to makes sure it's not burning.

That's all there is to it. I have used wheat flour for the wife's pizza, which uses the same amounts of everything. It's a little stickier, and the dough gets a lot thicker, but it's still pretty good.

Now I'm typing this by memory at work, so I'm 95% sure I didn't forget anything.

I again tried Pizza last night.

We bought a standard "Tombstone" cheese pizza. My wife, Marilyn, added thinly sliced pepperoni, onions, and banana peppers. We did NOT load up the pizza ( took kind of the "more is less" approach).

I placed two fire bricks (the same thin ones used for ribs with the "Minion Method") stood on their edges to hold the pizza stone off the grill. My thinking was to get the pizza up towards the inside of the lid where it was hottest. That way, the top of the pizza would, hopefully, cook in the same time frame as the bottom of the crust. It worked as planned. The top edge of the pizza got a bit of color at the same time the bottom did. PERFECT! I spread the bricks towards the edge of the pizza stone for the most stable position possible.

I preheated the stone for thirty minutes from the time I dumped the coals from the chimney starter until I opened it again (full chimney starter with the coals spread evenly over the entire grill). I placed the pizza (thawed before grilling) on the stone after lightly dusting the pizza stone with corn meal. I also used corn meal on the pizza peel so the pizza would slide off the peel. I put the lid on and didn't look until five minutes (by the clock) had passed. I looked and it was baking nicely but still needed three or four minutes. At nine minutes it was ready to pull.

The crust was crisp with a bread center. It was cooked near perfectly. Marilyn had dusted the surface with seasoning salt just before grilling.

After we put the pizza on the plates we applied a bit of grated parmesan cheese and a few red pepper flakes. Season to taste...

We ended up with a very nice pizza better than a lot of commercial pizzas we have eaten. It was REALLY good. Now, that we know the procedure, the sky is the limit (Hawaiian Pizza with ham and pineapple, olive oil, figs and ...) You get the idea. We have added another arrow to our grilling quiver!

Sorry that I didn't take pictures. Frankly, it looked so good, and I was SO hungry, that we ate it!

John, thanks for responding with full information. That was very helpful.

Dale53

Here is the picture of my set up for my Pizza Stone. Raising it off the coals allows the top and bottom of the pizza to be done at the same time. This gives you pretty much what a wood fired oven gives the high end Pizza Commercial guys:

PizzaStoneSetUp-1210_1600x1200.jpg

Dale53

Back