Pizza! Pizza!

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Today I bought a cheap pizza stone... I put a frozen pizza and it did its job. It got a nice crust. I'm excited about doing my own.
null-65.jpg

null-67.jpg

Kids liked it and got a little smoke flavor.

I did mine but there was too much smoke flavor and the family did not like it, yours looks great. Going to try again soon. Thanks for the inspiration

Mine tasted great but the pizza stuck to the stone and it was burned on the bottom (top was cooked perfectly). I'll try again.

I have had excellent results by grilling pizza on a RAISED stone (as Tony R. is doing, above). Here is a previous thread where I explain it:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37115-More-Pizza-Party-on-the-grill&highlight=Pizza+grill

Raising the stone (mine is placed on two fire bricks on their sides with the pizza stone resting on top). I throw a full, lit, chimney of Kingsford Original spread evenly over the grill. Set the two stones on the food grate with the stone on top. Pre-heat the stone with lid closed 15-30 minutes. The pizza cooks evenly top and bottom at the same time. It takes about 8 minutes to do a pizza (you can use a flashlight to check the progress by shining through the top vent). I have done as many as four pizzas one right after the other.

My son still prefers Jim Lahey's "No Knead" dough. My wife and I prefer Cuisinart's pizza dough made with the Food Processor. Both are excellent and the difference is just a matter of preference. Until you make your own dough, you will not believe the difference is quality...

NOTE: Many, including me, complain about pizza dough sticking to the pizza peel when trying to transfer to the hot stone. Adding a bit of flour to the dough to make a dryer dough helps. However, the solution is to use a piece of parchment paper on the peel with the pizza on the paper. Then you just grab hold of the off side of the paper with the tongs and slide it right off onto the hot stone. The pizza will brown perfectly and allow you to remove the cooked pizza onto the peel, also.

It might be a good idea to trim the paper so that it is not hanging over the edge of the stone (catching it on fire is not going to improve your pizza:p..

Dale53

Last edited:
Tony R.
Write me direct at rmcgee733 at gmail dot com and I'll send you the Cuisinart Recipe for a Food Processor Pizza dough that is my favorite. Easy and quick to make and superb off the hot stone.

Dale53

Tony R.
Write me direct at rmcgee733 at gmail dot com and I'll send you the Cuisinart Recipe for a Food Processor Pizza dough that is my favorite. Easy and quick to make and superb off the hot stone.

Dale53

Thanks Robert...
I'm a little faded right now but will do it tomorrow....🍻😃

Put a little corn meal in the peal and stone. It will act like little ball bearing s and the pizza will slide right off.

Mike

Tony; looks great! You'll enjoy learning and making lots of wonderful pizzas. Semolina flour is a much coarser grind, similar to corn meal and it's good to put a lot of that on the wooden paddle. Also - try NOT to put too much in the way of toppings weighing down the pizza. Less is more.

Finally, if you have a Trader Joe's in your area pick up some of their pizza dough. It's great in lieu of making your own. Work it with some AP flour to stretch and form it. Pizza dough is always better made by yourself, but TJ makes a very good one for home use. Good Luck!

Where can you find it in TJ, frozen or fresh?

Hi Brian,

It's in the fresh section and in a cooler on the perimeter - not in an aisle. Look for individual pizza doughs in a plastic bag - plain, whole wheat, garlic & herb. Up until a couple years ago it was .99 a dough ball - now they're 1.29. But when I haven't planned ahead and made my own dough, I'll use these at home for my wife and my use in the indoor oven.

TraderJoesPizzaDough.jpg

Mike;
I have been doing the "corn meal on the peel" since I started. However, if the dough is just a bit wet "or something" it still sticks in spite of my best efforts. Parchment paper is not expensive and it SOLVES the problem.

FWIW
Dale53

Robert, I also struggle with sticky pizza. SO you load the pizza and the parchment paper, onto the stone? Does that prevent you from rotating the pizza around the stone for even cooking? And when done, you outteh peel between the pizza and the paper, or do you pull the cooked pizza and paper off the stonetogether? At what point do you seperate the pizza from the stone?

I tried grilled pizza for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I did not use a stone though and cooked it directly on the grate. I made the dough from scratch using a recipe from the Food Network. I rolled/stretched the crust, then put it on the grate for about two minutes. I pulled it off, flipped it over onto a peel and put the toppings on. I put it back on the grill to cook the other side for three minutes or so. It came out great. Both the wife and I loved the results.

Jim;
The parchment paper (along with the pizza) is slid right off the peel onto the hot stone. As the bottom browns it'll release from the paper. I just pull both of them off at the same time (set the peel alongside the stone, grab hold of the parchment paper and pizza with the tongs and slide onto the peel). It's so easy you'll wonder why you didn't hear of this before. The pizza browns just like it was on the bare stone.

FWIW
Dale53

I tried grilled pizza for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I did not use a stone though and cooked it directly on the grate. I made the dough from scratch using a recipe from the Food Network. I rolled/stretched the crust, then put it on the grate for about two minutes. I pulled it off, flipped it over onto a peel and put the toppings on. I put it back on the grill to cook the other side for three minutes or so. It came out great. Both the wife and I loved the results.

That's pretty much the way I've done mine Scott, except I cook both sides direct, the load it up and finish indirect to melt cheese. Has worked great for me.

I have actually started taking a liking to skipping the stone first, let me explain. The last couple of times I did pizza I went ahead and put the dough directly on the grate for about 3-5 minutes, directly over the hot coals. This gave the bottom a nice browning with bits of char that we've come to enjoy from our favorite brick-oven style pizza joings. Then, once that first side is done, I pull it off the grill, flip it, top the cooked side, and cook the 2nd side directly over the coals for about 3-4 minutes. Once I've gotten what I'm looking for there, I transfer to the elevated stone so that the toppings get nice and melty. A couple of extra steps, but I find this gives me the best results.

Back