Pizza oven on a weber gas.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
Long time since I posted here.

I found an accessory (grill pizza oven) for my weber gas to keep enough heat in the grill to properly cook a pizza. This grill pizza oven thing I found is stainless, fairly thick, 23"x24" square and 4" tall. It's reversible and designed to be used as a stainless tappanyaki grill when flipped over. It's heavy. Beautiful welds. Fairly cheap (~$100 delivered) on ebay. I took a chance. I think it's good. The welds are beautiful. And I have a 16" 5/8 thick pizza stone inside directly on the grill.
1599337782807.png 1599338973643.png

The first cook was a midwest style 15" meat & cheese pizza. A bit too much meat 12 oz, perfect cheese 8 oz and 2/3 can muir glen sauce. In making the dough I had a horrible rise but realized I do not remember what year I purchased the yeast. From start to finish I sat down and watch the cook, turning the pizza once and checking the top a couple of times towards the end. It took maybe 10 minutes.
1599338929334.png 1599338609270.png 1599338632506.png 1599338660700.png 1599338904143.png
Mistakes were made. I need to get fresh yeast. In this pie I chose a mix of bread and ap flour with a pinch of wheat. I added a bit of wheat flour and wheat flour really has no reason to be in pizza dough. My next is going to be with 00 flour (or AP) and fresh mozza, naples style. This pie is really good. The crust was very tasty and this 15" heavy meatza pie completed in under 10 minutes. Raw to melty to bottom nice to top slight browning than boom perfect while I watched. Better than Superbowl commercials. I have a 6 sec video of bubbly cheese but could not figure how to add it here. I made the dough the evening before and let it slow rise until the next day. Future notes, use lard rather than other oil for best flavor.

As an improvement I thought it would be nice to have a thermometer probe port to the cover where I can get an idea of the temp. It's hot. At the front burners blasting on my grill for a half hour+ and my thermostat was reading 500° but I could not keep my hand near the front for long. I think the temp was higher because my probe limit is 482°F. On the other hand I also have a teppanyaki grill now and want to figure that out so won't punch holes. I wonder if this would griddle pancakes and breakfast or if things would stick.

Do you see how that thing just fits in my weber genesis s340? Just flip it over and ... what exactly is a teppanyaki or hibachi grill? Anyone try something like this? I should try eggs and pancakes on it to see what happens.

Hi Chris. How's Life? You ever get a weber pellet smoker? I'm going to keep my oldest smallest original junior traeger another year as it works most days and is paid for.

Looks good, nifty accessory! Check out the 72 hour pizza dough recipe its my go to! Have yet to try my baking steel on grill though, im sure it’d turn out great.

Looks like it's this listing on Ebay. Glad it worked out well for you.

I think I turn out pretty good pizzas on my 1000 using the stone and putting the grill cover down.

Back