PIZZA ON KETTLE

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
Im going to make a thin crust pizza on the kettle, with oak lump and thinking I can get the temp to 700 degrees with the lid slightly propped open.

I like a crispy crust, I found a beer dough recipe so its ready to go for tonight... Most of the videos ive seen show people just making up the pizza on the raw dough, would putting the crust alone in the grill to crisp up the bottom slightly help then pull it out and add the toppings then finish on grill or is this unnecessary ?

Its been a long time since making pizza on the grill and dont remember how I did it

Look up The Science of Pizza on amazing ribs.

The trick with grilled pizza is to get the top and bottom both cooked at the same time. If using regular grill grates, standard practice is to grill the dough on the grates on one side first. Then flip over. You don’t do the flip thing if using a stone.

The other issue is that a standard grill has too much head room to cook the top faster enough.

Lots of jerry rigs to deal with that.

ok so it was a successful cook, I burned some oak splits down and basically made my own lump charcoal...I purchased a 14 x 14 x1/4" steel plate to cook on and it did an excellent job..I did this mainly due to seeing others go through stones as they can break. The grill temp hit 550-650, I put all the toppings on the raw dough to see what would happen...good thing I did because the bottom got nice and crisp and if I had precooked the dough the bottom may have been burned and the top of the pizza not quite done.

its a learning experience

One of the reasons I love my Wolf grill. Custom tightly spaced 3/8" SS rod grates and that big Infrared rear burner that mimics the high surrounding heat of a wood fired oven. Top notch

The pizza steel cooks the bottom faster than a stone at the same temp. Steel is more conductive than stone.

so if you are up at 800-900F, you def want to being using a stone. Steel at that temp would burn the crust.

At 500-600 (low for a pizza oven) then the steel will do the better job. The stone would transfer the heat quite slowly, resulting in a longer slower bake.

An infrared is a great idea for cooking the top. Otherwise you have to rig some way to reduce the distance between the top and the lid to get heat coming from above.

Back