Pizza accessories

I haven't tried a cast iron pan. I already had a pizza stone when I got my grill (OTG 22.5"). I DO believe it is important to elevate the stone to get even cooking on top AND bottom (at the same rate). I put my stone on two thin firebricks to elevate them. It works perfectly. My son uses the same method but he put together a couple of food grates spaced with bolts for his set up. It works at least as well as mine and is more sturdy although I have had absolutely no problems with my set up.

Frankly, I suspect that the cast iron pan would work just as well as my stone if you elevate it like I do the stone.

Dale53

My daughter uses the cast iron pan elevated on fire bricks. It works well. She sometimes uses
it for other things like steaks in the kettle. It sears quite well. I just use fire bricks as my pizza
cooking surface.

That is a good price for CI. I looked at a Lodge a couple of weeks back and it was around $80.00. It was a great looking casting. I followed Robert McGee's method and it worked well for us.

I would wait for the Lodge to show up on Amazon "Warehouse Deals" where they usually have them for around $30 if my memory serves me well. I've had one for several years and it is the best pizza cooking surface I've ever used.

I'd go with the Cast Iron. I have a stone and will probably get a CI pizza pan as well....because you can also use it as a griddle / grill pan. May as well go Lodge too if that's a good option for you.

edit>> Bayou Classic 7414 14" Round Cast Iron Reversible Griddle might be a good option. I have one BC piece

Last edited:

Back