PitDroid 2.0

WBHinton

Any interest in a compatibility update to the PitDroid app for Android?

The playstore version has not been updated in 2yrs and isn't compatible with my Nexus 6 phone.

I am in the process of modding and updating the PitDroid project files from GitHub.

Is anyone still using PitDroid?

Last edited:
It worked on my Nexus 5 with Android 5.0.1. I am now using a Project fi Nexus 6 with 5.1.1 and it has never worked on this phone. I updated the project and have installed a new version of the app on my N6. It is working on some dry runs, but haven't done a cook with it yet.

I still use it. Haven't tried it yet on my Droid Max Turbo. That will happen in a week or two. Would love to see an update.

I'm a new HM user, but the Android app was something I made sure to look for before I jumped in. Not having it would have nearly been a dealbreaker for me. I've had issues on both of my long smokes where the app would lose connection with the HM after 15-20 hours. Restarting the app didn't help, but I could still access the HM through my computer. Anyone else had similar problems? I'm on a SGS3.

Anyhow, great app. It has all the important features, but I would definitely be interested in seeing more functionality added.

I don't have an Android watch, but Android Wear support would be great. I use the Pebble app all the time, especially when starting up the grill and waiting for it to get to temperature. Being able to look down at my wrist and see the temps while my hands are covered in pork juice and rub is a major benefit. Also towards the end of the cook when I am running around doing other things, it's nice to see where we are without having to get out my phone and unlock it. Expanding the pebble app to be able to see each probe's graph is something I look forward to having time to do too.

Oh! Lockscreen widget? That would be helpful as well.

I don't have an Android watch, but Android Wear support would be great. I use the Pebble app all the time, especially when starting up the grill and waiting for it to get to temperature. Being able to look down at my wrist and see the temps while my hands are covered in pork juice and rub is a major benefit. Also towards the end of the cook when I am running around doing other things, it's nice to see where we are without having to get out my phone and unlock it. Expanding the pebble app to be able to see each probe's graph is something I look forward to having time to do too.

Oh! Lockscreen widget? That would be helpful as well.

All of what he said. I would be willing to test the android wear support if needed. I have a Samsung gear live and a nexus 6

Yes. I'm in... I started with updating it already but had to update the code and plugins for the new Android studio. I posted in the original thread. Right now I got it to compile with new versions of libs but its now looking for my hm to be plugged in so it can get data in the emulator.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW. The market one works fine on my nexus 6 running 6.0. Txt is way too small to read. First thing I would fix. ;)

I don't really get the deal with people wanting an "update", but then not actually having any reason for it. Personally I find it annoying when apps update themselves all the time. If it works, leave it alone! That said, I am updating PitDroid, and I did notice at least one bug, with the admin login not working with the latest HeaterMeter code. Also, I updated it to Android Studio and the latest SDK. As for the issues with tiny text, I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe the graph library has a fixed font size. I use Windows Phone now so I only have older Android devices, so I can't dupe that bug if it's only for really high-dpi devices. As always, I'm happy to accept patches from people who fix or improve things. Most people volunteer to help and then go "hmm, this is a lot of work, I'd rather just eat some meat". Can't argue with that, but that does mean you gotta wait until I have time to work on it (which isn't too often).

Oh, and as for the question of if anyone is still using PitDroid, according to the Play Store stats if I had a dollar for everyone currently using it I'd have $749! Lucky for you guys I give it away for free, just like the HeaterMeter software. (Bryan is the best.)

Colin I hear you.... just got 19 updates for a new logo (thanks google)

are you going to use eclipse or the new android studio?

I have done some work on getting your code to compile in the new android studio and now your app compiles but logs that it cant see a heater meter by URL. im guessing thats in the code somewhere?

having just purchased a moto 360 watch getting the wear app screen would be of interest to me.. just cuz those smokes take a LONG time and I need something to work on while i wait :)

Thanks again colin... I would give you a new crisp 1$ for this app... or maybe more

Below is a screen shot of your app running on my Nexus 6 so you can see the fonts along the graph

Dave

1Dluvbh.png

Last edited:
I'd love to see an updated version, and beyond that, would like to see some UI redesign/updates.

I'm sure several of us would be happy to share ideas/mockups, if you'd like.

Hmm, I don't see any problems David, maybe you need to get your eyesight checked? Seriously though, if you check the Git repository I've checked in all my changes, you can try compiling it and seeing if you can figure out what's going on. It's been updated for Android Studio and should just compile out of the box.

Smooth code now... THANKS... yeah... too many years getting smoke in my eyes and staring at RC planes/quads hitting the sun :)

At least I can read the numbers now... maybe need to add a "CANT SEE TOO MUCH SMOKE" toggle for the size

Ill keep working on stuff and send you my changes for you to evaluate

mD5dUq0.png

Back