Pineapple-Tamarind Rib Sauce

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Pineapple-Tamarind Rib Sauce

For foiling the ribs I made up a juice mix of 6oz pineapple juice and 2oz strong tamarind juice (made by steeping tamarind pulp in a little boiling water then straining out the pulp) for a 1 c total. Half of this juice mix I used when I foiled the ribs (I smoked two racks and used 1/4 c each). The remaining juice mix I used in the sauce.

Important: Before cooking, trim the skirt meat off the rack(s) and trim off a few inches from the narrow end of the rack(s)--this trimming should contain at least 2 bones. Rub and smoke on the lower grate so that the trimmings can be removed in a couple hours by using long tongs through the access door.

1 T evoo

2 t unsalted butter

1 small onion, peeled, sliced thinly

pinch salt

2 cloves garlic, pressed

2 t fresh ginger, minced

1 t dried thyme

1/2 c pineapple-tamarind juice blend

3/4 c low-salt chicken stock

smoked rib trimmings, see above

2 T ketchup

1 T Dijon

a few dashes bottled hot sauce, or to taste

2 t honey

2 t turbinado

a small wedge of lime

In a small pot heat the evoo and butter together till the butter has melted over med-high heat. Add the onion and pinch of salt, stir to coat the onion, then cook, stirring occasionally, till the onion is nicely caramelized, about 15-20 min. Add the thyme, garlic and ginger, stir, and cook till the garlic is very fragrant, about 1 min.

Add the juice mix and the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cut the tip trimming between the bones and add to the pot. Cut the skirt trimming in half crosswise and add to the pot. Return to a boil then lower the heat to med-low and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, 30-45 min.

Remove the trimming from the pot. Cut a 3-inch piece off the skirt and reserve on the cutting board. Eat or discard the remaining trimmings. Cut the reserved piece of skirt into 3 pieces and return it to the pot. Puree the contents of the pot in a blender or mini-processor; return the sauce to the pot.

Add the ketchup, Dijon, hot sauce, honey and turbinado to the pot. Bring to a simmer over med heat then reduce the heat to low and cook a few minutes. Remove from the heat; keep warm for serving. Just before serving stir in 3-4 drops of fresh lime juice.

Back