pime rib cooking temps an ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I am wanting to do a prime rib for new years eve. I was reading the recipes on the recipe pages and surprised by the temps. Does everyone cook them at ~350? Any problems with using the cheesecloth mentioned and where do you find cheesecloth?

Mike

Mike
The pit temp dictates the finish product, temps from 250 to 350 will give you an even finish, in other words it those temps if you take it to 130?
internal then the finish will be med rare to med through out. If you cook at higher temps375 and higher then the if you would pull at 125? internal you would have rare center with med to med well exterior. I have not found a need for cheesecloth but if you want to use it, it can be found in most grocery stores in houseware section.
Jim

Thanks for the reply. I have cooked several prime ribs on my gasser and in the oven and had never heard of using cheesecloth until I saw it in the recipe on this site.

I think I understand the temps now.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Mike,

The latest prime rib article, Beef Rib Roast - Dry Aged, calls for cooking at 225-250*F, not ~350*F, in order to get that even medium-rare doneness throughout that Jim was referring to. You can skip the dry aging step, if you like.

Regarding the use of cheesecloth in the Prime Rib - Herb Crusted article, the thinking was to keep the herb paste in contact with the meat during cooking. In retrospect, I'm not sure it added much to the process. I would skip it in the future.

Regards,
Chris

Did a couple last weekend. One on a WSM and one on a Weber Kettle. Pulled both at 118 internal and let temp go up an additional 13 degrees. Medium Rare in middle, wonderful!!!!

On turkey day I did one on WSM and pulled at 128 internal. Was a little to much overdone.

Ran WSM's with no sand in the pan and the WSM wide open with a full ring of lit briquetes. Hit 320-330 right off the bat and finished both cooks in about 2 1/2 hours.

Doing another on x-mas eve, x-mas and the day after x-mas.

Thanks I hadn't looked at the dry aged recipe. I was wanting to cook at ~250 and maybe do some baby backs at the same time for new years day. Gotta have pork on new years!

Thanks for the input
MIke

Mike You can get cheesecloth at your local hardware store. Make sure you get the food grade in housewares instead of in the paint dept. Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back