Pig Stand Barbecue Sauce Pulled Pork

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey there. Haven't been around much lately. Work's been keeping me on the road and away from my grills. This past weekend I was home and had a deep need to smoke something. A few weeks ago I was shopping a rural supermarket for unusual and/or obscure barbecue sauces. Found one that I haven't read about in any of the forums, so forgive me if everyone already knows about this stuff.

Pig Stand Barbecue Sauce is made in Ville Platte, Louisiana. The directions on the bottle are what intrigued me enough to try it out. You dump the whole bottle of sauce into a saucepan, add a cup of vegetable oil and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. No matter how much you whisk it, you never can make a homogeneous mixture out of the stuff, but the oil bubbles through the sauce and infuses with the spices, etc.

Then you baste your pork butt with the oil at the top, when its done and shredded you throw the stuff in the bottom of the pot in the pork and stir.

Sounds a bit strange, but this was some of the best pulled pork I've ever made. The basting (I did it once an hour for about 9 hours) kept the bark from getting dry, but it was perfectly crisp. The sauce is heavy on mustard, but not like a SC mustard based barbecue sauce. Not very sweet (thank goodness..I think most sauces these days are too sweet). It's loaded with cooked onion.

I smoked it with white oak used bourbon barrel wood at 275-300 for 9 hours. Don't know if the basting had anything to do with it, but the fat rendered out beautifully.

If you're looking for something with a Cajun twang and a little different approach to your next shoulder, I highly recommend you give Pig Stand a try. Google it....there are a half dozen Cajun specialty internet stores that sell it. I've only seen it in one supermarket in Southern Missouri, so don't make yourself nuts trying to find it retail...unless you're in Louisiana or nearby I doubt you'll find it.

Sounds awesome. I've been doing the Renowned Mr. Brown pork butt recipe for years and years. Been thinking about trying something new this holiday weekend.

Think you'll like it. If you're talking about the Jameson's recipe for the Renowned Mr. Brown, that's what I normally do, too. This was a very pleasant change of pace.

Back