Pig Candy for the Sunday Neighborhood get-together

Mark Silver

TVWBB Wizard
Since Covid, we have had an on-going Sunday “Social Distancing” neighborhood weather permitting get-together. I always bring something, usually from the smoker or grill. Last Sunday, I made Pig Candy. The last time I made it was many years ago when we lived in WA state. I made it for a Sunday brunch for my now late wife's boss and her husband. Our son had a friend spending the night. They came upstairs before brunch while we were talking on the deck and helped themselves to 12 of the 16 slices I made. This batch was also a hit.

On the smoker with maple syrup and bbq rub.
1728436087772.jpeg
One hour in adding the accumulated syrup and rub in the marinade pan and brown sugar.
1728436338362.jpeg
Finished product pics
1728436401462.jpeg
1728436470339.jpeg

Last edited:
Gee (to myself), wish I could make some of this. If only I had a recipe :cry: It just looks sooo good!!!!

Gee (to myself), wish I could make some of this. If only I had a recipe :cry: It just looks sooo good!!!!
I’ve made it using the recipe here on the website (below) but this time I cooked it a 225° on the Memphis Pro pellet smoker with a combination of competition blend and cherry pellets for 2 hours after first putting on maple syrup and bbq rub. (2 hour marinade pouring syrup on each slice and sprinkling it with rub. The bacon is layered on top of each other.) After marinading, I collected the remaining syrup/rub mixture in a small measuring cup with a spout. After 1 hour on the smoker, I poured the remaining syrup mixture on each of the slices and hand sprinkled brown sugar on each slice and smoked it for another hour. When it was at the point I wanted, I removed it from the smoker and quickly laid it on non-stick foil (I was out of parchment paper, otherwise it sticks like crazy to the rack) for 20 minutes before taking it to the get-together. Aside from the initial marinade, the remaining syrup and brown sugar only go on one side of the bacon. There was no flipping the pieces during this cook. Next time, I’ll add some cayenne pepper along with the bbq rub for a little sweet heat. (FYI, the bacon does not get crisp but it “stiffens up” a little during the rest after coming off the smoker). It’s also fantastic to cut up and mix into an omelet with other fixings of your choice.

Last edited:
Ya gotta luv bacon! .Snoop Dogg does a similar version.

Back