piedmont pan temp control problems

Dan Huffman

TVWBB Member
Hey everybody,

I've used the piedmont pan a few times now and I'm having the hardest time controlling the temps in my smoker.

I've got two butts in currently, started it up with the minion method (which is awesome, by the way) and the temps have hit 301 and are staying there. I shut down all the vents, but it's not cooling down.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to put water back in the single pan and just use that since it works fine for me. Any help would be great!!

The piedmont pan is more of an insulator from the heat to the meat and not as much of a temperature regulator. With the vents closed the temperature will come down but it will take a little while. The temps shouldn't hurt your butts.

Next time the vents will need to be closed before the temps get too high.

Russell

Hey Russell,

Yeah, I cut the bottom vents all the way once it hit 250 to help it settle in at that temp, and it was going great until about an hour later.

I have a feeling that my middle section may be leaking too much air in. Who knows. I swapped the piedmont out and put in the single water pan and it's hanging out at 284, which I can handle for butts.

My last cook I did ribs with the PWP and it went really well once the temps settled, so I'm not giving up!! It could also be that it's getting windy and blowing snow like there's no tomorrow out here tonight. I opened the dorr ot my storage room to use as a windblock, so hopefully that will work its magic!

Thanks for the input!
Dan

---

Dan,

Question for ya. How did you manage your vents? Did you start closing them down as the temps climbed?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Yeah, I shut them to about 25% or less once it hit 200 degrees, like the recipe says for the Mr. Brown butts. It was seriously going great (I almost wet my pants at how well the Minion method worked since I've never used it), but the temps just kept climbing.

It's not budging off of 184 right now, so I'm fine with that. Then again, I swapped out the water pans, so it had a second to cool down when I opened the lid.

My experience (keep in mind I live in a mild climate) is I choke down 100 % on the bottom vents if I have to. IF my target is, lets say 230-240 degrees, I will close vents 50 % at around 190- 200, and another 25% around 210-215, and let it creep up to temp. It is possible that you got that fire going a bit to much.

Hope this helps.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Dan,

I run with a nested flower pot base, which I would imagine functions similarly to the piedmont pan. Water will never get hotter than 212, so it is easier to bring temps down if you use water. The solution if running without water is to always use the minion method and to start shutting down sooner than you would have in the past and try not to overshoot your target temp. It may take you a few smokes to get the hang of it, but you will.

In the event that you do overshoot, just shut down your lower vents and be patient. The temps will gradually come down.

This is why I love this site!! I'm stressing, throw a post on here about my issues and, voila, I have answers instantly!

This is my first time using the MM, so it will take some learning to get it down. I live in an apartment, so I've been using a Brinkmann electric smoker, but it won't push the temps high enough in the winter, so I've been breaking the rules of my lease and using my WSM... Shsssh!!! I'd gladly get kicked out of here than to not use my weber.

Thanks again for all your help, guys, you all rule! I'll take some pics if I get a chance to show the progess and final product.

---

Here are my pictures thus far...

My crappy Brinkmann

My Jeep getting snowed on... again.

My "shelter"

My butts on fire!

So far so good. I'll post some more pics when they are done!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

---

I cook with lump and a piedmont pan. I have found that I get the most even burn and temperature control by setting the bottom vents at 10% and closing the top vent as necessary for temperature control.

Dan,

I've done 4 smokes so far since I've went to the Piedmont. I've used Lump and Briq's with no problem with temperature control.

I always use the minion method and both the lump and briq's have been very consistent with keeping temps between 230 and 250 lid. I always leave the top vents all the way open because I leave my dial thermometer in one of the vents all the time.

Otherwise I start by leaving the bottom vents at 1/3 open. Once the WSM comes up to temp I close the bottoms to a sliver. That's the only thing different that I do since I've gone to Piedmont setup.

Before the Piedmont I ran my smoker the same except I left the bottom vents 1/3 all the time. I would say that you must be getting some excessive air into the WSM somewhere. Is your midsection out of round? Did you bend you door to fix tight against the body?

Sometimes if you spin the midsection around a little it will fit better to the bottom. The Piedmont setup works perfect for me and I would never go back. I foil the top pan so I just roll it up and toss for easy cleanup.

I hope you find what's causing you temperature spikes.

Jonnny

Back