Picnic vs. Butt

Jeff Rutledge

Hello,

Often time lurked over the years, but only because I used to be only an occasional Q'er. I accomplished these occasional smokes using my Weber Kettle. My results (ribs, butts & turkey) were always pretty good, but this past memorial day I decided to get serious and talked the wife into letting me buy a WSM. My first smoke was a Butt and Ribs, and it turned out very good, not great but very good.

I did my second smoke (an over nighter) the July 4th weekend, where I smoked what I thought were two butts (purchased from different locations). Turns out that what I thought was butt #2, was in actuality a picnic (from the lower shoulder). My question to those in the know on this forum is do picnics typically finish dryer than butts, because even though I pulled both off with an internal temp of 195, the picnic ended up being much drier than I wanted. The Butt turned out fantastic.

If this is not typical and I experienced something most don't, then my second question is can a rib rub (in particular the KC Rib Rub from Smoke in Spice)cause the meat to be less moist than what one would expect?

I ended up using the rest of my rib rub on the picnic, that I had left over from my memorial day smoke. On the butt I used the recipe for the Renowned Mr. Brown, and again used what I had left over from my earlier smoke.

All I can say is I didn't like the picnic results at all, and unless I'm told otherwise, I think I'll stick to the butt from here on out.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Oh and just so I can complete the picture, I made all my sauces & cole slaw from the Smoke & Spice book too. Vaunted Vinegar, Carolina Red (my favorite), and Struttin' Sauce (least favorite).

I'm looking forward to learning many new techniques on this forum and making sure I give my new investment it's proper due.

Welcome to the board. Don't be just a lurker anymore!
icon_smile.gif

Me, I like picnics for things like pernil and for roasting/braising, but not so much for pulled pork. Picnic can certainly read as drier at the finish - especially if you are doing 'done' by temp rather than by tenderness (learn to feel for tender). The structure of picnic often means that it will seem drier if taken to the same temps as butt. Rubs have no effect on tenderness, dryness or moistness.

Hope this helps.

Love this part "but this past memorial day I decided to get serious and talked the wife into --->letting me buy a WSM<---.

Dude the first thing tomorrow u dont talk to ur wife at all..go to the closest airport buy a single ticket to sweden and live at my place for a week maby lern something-//Me (aka boss)

*joke*

As if
icon_wink.gif
but still love that line
icon_cool.gif

And info on the meat have never tryed picnic so nvm this post.

Bless//Me

Wogast, 10 years of marriage, 3 young kids, stay at home mom. I know who the boss is
icon_razz.gif

But if your buying, I will take you up on the ticket to Sweden and the free rent for a week.
icon_wink.gif

I've cooked about 20 butts so far, pretty happy wth the most of the results. The one picnic roast I smoked turned out kind of dry also. Same as butt cooks, I pulled it off by temp. Some apple juice and sauce moistened it up, but I'll probably stick with butts.

7 years here and 2 kids,stay at home mom.

I know what im talking about and let´s just say its not a walk in the park. (who said that)
icon_rolleyes.gif

About the ticket "SHE" dont aprove sorry
icon_confused.gif

Have a nice evening.

Bless

Wait a minute Wolgast, you didn't say anything about 2 kids in your original post. What kind of get away is that for me?
icon_biggrin.gif

Greg, more power to you if you actually got away with that one. You are my new hero for sure....
icon_smile.gif

Bill, thanks for the tip. My Picnic is pulled and in the freezer so I'll moisten it up a bit before serving. What type of sauce did you use?

Thanks Bill; I seem to have fallen in love with the Carolina Red, so I'll just use some of that. Boss won't let us use Sweet Baby Ray's anymore
icon_mad.gif
She's on this health kick and anything that has high fructose corn syrup is now a no go in my household.

Kevin,

What is Pernil? I guess I could do a google search, but just to lazy right now. This heat wave has finally taken it's toll on me. TGIF.

I wasn't referring to the cut but, rather, the dish - the Puerto Rican one. I might have clarified further. Mojo-cooked pork is distinctly cubano, not puertoriqueño, and it was to the latter I meant to refer. I too grow sour oranges and make mojo - not a fan of Goya's - and I raise pigs with my Cuban neighbors so we go through a lot of it. And I make a fair amount of liqueur from them as well. (See the Limoncello recipe in the Beverages section.)

I've cooked in PR more times than I can count. I have always seen picnic referred to as 'pernil' there, without exception. Go figure.

I do more fresh shoulder (picnics) than butts only because they are cheaper. They tend to run a little dryer but I always mix in a little apple juice and apple cider vinegar with it. Just enough to moisten. I sell sammies at our youth softball tournaments and games and usually sell out real fast. So I guess no one really knows the difference.

I think one needs to compare uncooked weight after trimming (many picnics come skin-on, which most remove; many butts are skinless), and yield after cooking (the bone in a picnic is more substantial than the bone in a butt). Depending on the price spread at retail, picnics often aren't cheaper. YMMV.

Back